1935 Commander Axle to Brake Plate Question

OK, I'm ready to place the brake backing plates onto the rear axle but I'm not sure about the shims that go in between them. I'm using an axle from car "A" and the brake components from car "B", so I'm guessing that the shims I saved from car "B" wont really have a true relationship with axle "A". Shims were not present on axle "A". Just toss a few on and adjust later when I mount the tire and wheel? Thoughts? Thanks!

It’s a wheel bearing shim, if I am not mistaken. Too tight and a fire or snap. Be sure you figure it out. Don’t guess.

2 hours ago, chris piazza said:

I have the manual, I'm just wondering where to begin. No sims? 60 shims?

Trial and error.........every car is different. Yup.....it’s work.

PS- most cars have different thickness shims........thus just stacking random ones in not a good idea. Clean all the ones you have, measure them, and start playing around with it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

My 1937 Shop Manual says the end play of one wheel should be no more than 0.005".  The problem is where to mount a dial indicator to check this.  If the play is less than 0.005", take a shim out of the other side and check again, keep alternating sides.  The shim stack on each side is supposed to be the same within 0.005".  A bigger problem is when you need more shims because there is no stock I know of.  Part numbers for 1B/1C through 3C cars seem to be 184533-184536 for 0.003"/0.005"/0.010"/0.030" thickness.  When I rebuilt my 1928 EW rear axle, I needed more shims.  I took a drawing and CAD file to my nearby sheet metal fabricator and had them laser cut a bunch of shims from a roll of 0.005" shim stock.  I got what I needed but it wan't cheap.  Here's the drawing for the 1928 parts, p/n 150027-9.

545142557_rearaxleshim150027-9.thumb.jpg.08dc8a27cbdb8f83c0f0d4990c0ea14b.jpg

• Like 1

The way I interpreted the repair manual is that you remove the housing cover and use a feeler gauge between the end of the axle shaft and the block between the shafts. Start with a set of shims that give you a little larger than the .005 end play. Take a measurement for the end plat and remove the amount of shims to get you the .005. Measure again and repeat.