1957 Plymouth Savoy - Fins! - OR - Not Mine

For Sale on Craigslist  1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-Door Sedan in Shady Cove, Oregon  -  $22,500  -  No phone # provided, reply to Seller through Craigslist email to 090c8e4eab0d3626b9bafeea32b74d73@sale.craigslist.org

Link:  https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/shady-cove-1957-plymouth-savoy/7154357914.html

Seller's Description:

Yellow and black.  Excellent condition inside and out.  White wall tires

image.png.b00112bab36909dd245185d249fec92c.png

image.png.0e19c49a8430e5de4d15419a16bda10f.png

image.png.a586bd85b018003faef9be403a55de45.png

image.png.99125fc798891006b4ace4251dad69a7.png

image.png.09da4f07d8760b0045d97089e6070209.png

image.png.d97248b939dea15d53f8e9550b249bb1.png

• Like 1

Same trim and options as the one my father ordered new in September, 1956 as the 1957 (Suddenly It's 1960) Plymouth Savoy with "Sportone" trim, 301 ci V-8 and Power-Flyte 2-speed automatic transmission. Ours was a black car with white roof and white on the lower body portion below the trim.

Attempting to appear more sporty, Dad had our radio antenna installed at the left rear, alongside the base of the rear windshield, with a nicely raked angle. We managed a speed in excess of 100 mph on a flat straight stretch of Highway 52 between Woodbourne and Ellenville, NY, near the old Tamarack Lodge - that was back during the summer of 1957 when I was playing trumpet in a band at another of the Catskill Mountains (Borscht Belt - Yiddish Alps) resort hotels.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yiddish Alps -- fun. I never heard that one before.

My grandfather bought a small farm to escape Brooklyn in the summer but as he called it it was smack in the middle of the Jewish Alps.  So many of those little resorts are still there in foundations only.  As kids we used to try and find the old dumps from the 30's and dig the dumps for bottles and beer cans. My house is pretty full of the relics we dug and I still collect beer cans and bottles from the 30's.  Those resorts were really something in their day  https://untappedcities.com/2017/10/05/10-abandoned-resorts-from-the-borscht-belt-in-catskills-new-york/

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

My grandfather bought a small farm to escape Brooklyn in the summer but as he called it it was smack in the middle of the Jewish Alps.  So many of those little resorts are still there in foundations only.  As kids we used to try and find the old dumps from the 30's and dig the dumps for bottles and beer cans. My house is pretty full of the relics we dug and I still collect beer cans and bottles from the 30's.  Those resorts were really something in their day  https://untappedcities.com/2017/10/05/10-abandoned-resorts-from-the-borscht-belt-in-catskills-new-york/

Interesting reading. It's often sad the way that time marches on.

The smaller places that don't get mention was the real escape from the city in the 50's and 60's during the hot summers. Rheingold and Schaefer and Ballantine sold more beer up there between Memorial Day and the Labor Day then they did the entire rest of the year through the whole of the city. Gosh I miss me an ice cold Ballantine Ale now.

Off-topic

With various bands over the years (1953 - 1967 or so), I played just about all of these places/palaces (except for the White Lake Mansion House), and dozens of others - both summertime, and weekends for the rest of the year.  https://untappedcities.com/2017/10/05/10-abandoned-resorts-from-the-borscht-belt-in-catskills-new-york/

As a young kid in the 1940s and very early 1950s, much of our extended family rented rooms at Hasbrouk Manor, owned by the Lasky brothers of theater fame,  next door to the Hardenberg? dairy farm just up the Navesink (Neversink?) River from Woodbourne, NY. Families would stay a week, a couple of weeks, and those better-off might stay the entire summer. Moms and kids stayed there and walked down the road to swim in the River, just down from the bridge

Years later, after our various bands completed playing our Thursday night sets, no matter where in the Catskills we were playing, we would head to Woodbourne to the River Tavern to sit in for Jazz Sets. The tavern sat immediately east of the river and bridge where both NY State Routes 42 and 52 intersected. I recall one year where my NJ All-State Band friend and Bassist extrordinaire, Bill Slapin was with the house band there. His '54 Ford dropped the timing chain and I towed him back to Springfield, NJ with a rope - a very tenuous (hairy) ride indeed! We performed together, along with another NJ All-Stater, Lou Soloff from Lakewood, NJ, later the lead trumpet with Blood, Sweat & Tears, and with my cousin Norm Bergen who composed, arranged, and conducted for Tony Orlando from their years as kids in the Bensenhurst section of Brooklyn to the years at the theater in Branson, MO. Norm also conducted the orchestra for the the Broadway/Off-Broadway show "Oh, Calcutta" back  around 1968 or 1969 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_Calcutta!#Sketches_and_songs . I believe that may have been the first Broadway show with full frontal nudity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

The smaller places that don't get mention was the real escape from the city in the 50's and 60's during the hot summers. Rheingold and Schaefer and Ballantine sold more beer up there between Memorial Day and the Labor Day then they did the entire rest of the year through the whole of the city. Gosh I miss me an ice cold Ballantine Ale now.

Remember voting for "Miss Rheingold beer" every year?,

XK-140 Jag at 1:24, 

what might be a '57 Caddy 2-door hardtop at 1:36, and a

'57 Mercury wagon at 1:37 and 2:17

and how about Bert & Harry - the Piel's brothers for Piel's Beer (played by the comedy team of Bob and Ray)?

Or the Sheafer Driver singing the Sheafer jingle:

Sheafer, 

Is the,

One beer to have,

when you're having more than one ...

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Man nobody was drinking Piels after 1965 when it went south thanks to the contaminated Staten Island plant.  More folks voted for Miss Rhiengold then for the president back in the day. My house is full of this stuff.  If there is any brewery you have a memory of and would like a trip down memory lane let me know.

20200711_183926.jpg

20200711_184028.jpg