1941 Packard 110 Special - $5500 - Bondurant, IA - Not Mine

1941 Packard 110 Special - $5500 - Bondurant, IA

https://masoncity.craigslist.org/pts/d/elkhart-1941-packard/7149887331.html

vintage 1941 Packard 110, 6 cylinder, 3 speed, all original, some tlc needed, brakes, not running, been in storage for several years,  motor turns over, not stuck, new tires, clean title

Copy and paste in your email: c0ab9ee2d4403e0399d97b4a3aa29f54@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Packard 110 Special.

'41 Packard 110 IA a.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA b.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA c.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA d.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA e.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA f.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA g.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA gg.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA h.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA i.jpg

'41 Packard 110 IA k.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

It looks like these running boards need repair.  I have this very like issue with a car I am working on now.  Who is the go to source for running boards and rubber?

A couple options on the runningboards, but very pricey no matter the vendor.  Also, I have seen some people use bed liner - it is ok, but far from the best solution.  The last Packard I did we used 3M Panel Adhesive (what they use to glue on auto body panels in repair shops verses welding) to repair the bad spots and then sanded down and rubbed them with some black paint - looked nice enough.  I have been thinking if I ever do another survive car and running boards stand half a chance I would again use the 3M Panel Adhesive, though would probably coat with plastic tool dip (Plasti-Coat makes tool dip in both brush and spay on, plus there are a few other vendors in the space). 

• Like 1

Plasticoat is PVC plastisol, and I don't think it is formulated with a good UV and anti-oxidant package.  Also, the gloss will be high but it could be carefully sanded.

I have seen a good job using polyurethane bed liner and LOTS of tedious sanding.  I would not use unknown chemistry bed liner.

Glue down EPDM matting has the right finish, usually involves some seams.  There was a 41 Packard one available from Steele but has been out of production a while.

Finally, Mr Acuff's work is reputed the quality standard. 

• Like 1

This would not be on a packard but same year running boards on another make. The bracket area's seemed to have the most problems. Original cracked rubber still on the entire board.  Going to remove and then soak in an Oxcalic acid mixture and see what is left. The rest of the car is very solid.  

On 7/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, TerryB said:

Rubber stair tread material, available in various lengths and colors including black could make an impromptu running board cover.

Rubber stair tread material will never work on a 41 Packard - just nowhere close to being able to work (very complicated running board and not that type of metal pattern to them). 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:11 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

This would not be on a packard but same year running boards on another make. The bracket area's seemed to have the most problems. Original cracked rubber still on the entire board.  Going to remove and then soak in an Oxcalic acid mixture and see what is left. The rest of the car is very solid.  

Start a page and post some pictures - hard to give advice without seeing the issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Rubber stair tread material will never work on a 41 Packard - just nowhere close to being able to work (very complicated running board and not that type of metal pattern to them). 

My 1937 Dodge pickup running boards were covered with the ribbed rubber step covering that could be purchased by the roll and cut to length and width.  Not perfect but did look better than nothing at all.   How about that black paint on rubber stuff “as seen on TV” where they paint it on a screen to make a boat bottom?