Part I.D. & funtion?

spotter

At the risk of displaying my considerable level of ignorance [in my very first post, no less] I am driven to inquire into the function of an item that I noted & photo-ed on a 1934 Aston Martin @ Pebble Beach last year [Specifically, the Aston Martin Mark II Sports Saloon].

1. There is a large, roundish housing mounted atop the Steering Gearbox, but is it related to the Steering in any way? The answer to that may also answer the more specific Qs I have, but here they are.

2. Does that housing contain an electric motor or a diaphragm? [those being the only 2 guesses I have so far.]

3. Purpose/Function of the 2 meshing semi-circular gears.

4. There is a large Hose, Tube or Cable going in [or coming out] of one end of the cylinder & a smaller one at the other end: are they Electrical, Oil/lube, or Vacuum? Then of course where do they go & what do they do?

All random guesses & unrelated foolishness welcome.

image.thumb.png.af18aefe7d076d09982bc38d8a35d0d9.pngimage.thumb.png.dc9d5f9cb5079a8476a0e63d41e727b3.png

• Like 1

Probably the wire to the horn button.  My Studebaker truck has the wire for the horn entering the bottom end of the steering column as seen in these photos.

Being a British vehicle, that top piece is no doubt the switch and self-cancelling for the semaphore turn indicators.  Did you get a photo of the steering wheel? Was there a little chrome lever, about 3/4" at the very top (12 o'clock) of the hub?

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

That is the light switch for the headlights, parking lights, and high beam. It also has the horn wire running through it. Also, the hand throttle.