1947 Chrysler

caddy60s

Joe,

The one that is on the car started to show signs of cracking in different spots after checking with a magnet it is obvious that it is a bondo door. If i could find one that is solid  I would trash the one that is now there.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I parted a couple of 47's years ago and I think I may have the door(s). However, I think they both had cracks in the plastic.

It is very difficult to find ones without cracks.

There is/was a guy that was reproducing the plastic(s) for these cars but I have not seen his name around lately and, right now, I cannot remember it.

Joe

Joe,  Thank you for your interest in the 47 Glove box door.  After

reading your last reply am I to believe that all the doors for the glove boxes on the 47 chryslers were not made of metal but were plastic from the factory?

Regards Bruce

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

There used to be a guy out in Iowa (I believe?) who made and sold glove box doors for the "46-'48 Chrysler that were solid aluminum.  You would then paint the door (where the plastic used to be) the color of the original plastic.  I had been meaning to get one for years now and I think maybe I've waited too long!

I have a 1946 Chrysler Windsor with the plastic over metal glove box door.

I have a 3D print company making up a new cover in Nylon for durability. The prototype (1/2 of the cover) fit well and snapped on.

They should have the completed versions this Wednesday (3/9/22) and I can report back with pictures.

If it works I have already paid for the design so it would be just the print costs for you.

Let me know if you would like to see the completed version.

Bruce Rogers

• Like 1

B Rogers, I would like to see a picture of your 3D printed glove box door when it is done.  I have a cracked maroon door on my 1947 Chrysler Highlander.  It would be nice to have a plastic replacement vs. a metal one that you would have to paint.  Thanks!

Here is the first run of the 3D printed glove box cover.

It is a little dirty from fitting and handling.

I feel it needs a slight adjustment on top to accurately match the dash lines.

The cover is paintable and that is the next step to see how it takes paint.

Cover fits snug to metal back plate.

C38-1947 I will check on if they can color match. I have a maroon 1946 Windsor.

IMG_2343.jpg.c9a52b71232846e251425b862fd1e167.jpg

• Like 1