Replacement window motor 67 Riviera questions

kreed

My passenger side window motor on my 67 Riviera went out today . Fortunately I have a good one to replace but have questions , particularly knowing fingers and hands can be seriously injured so my question is: 

1. Is it always mandatory to remove the entire regulator mechanism in order to replace the motor ? There are three bolts that hold the motor on the regulator gear of which one is reasonably accessible but the other two are very difficult to even see much less remove. Looking at the service manual , it is recommended that the  entire mechanics  be removed and a hole be drilled in the regulator with a bolt placed  to control the gear since it is under major tension. I suspect I can get it out as one piece but getting in back looks like a PIA . Before I tackle it , want to make sure that there are no safe and simpler ways to do this . Thanks as always 

KReed

ROA 14549

Morning Ken,

Generally, these window motors are pretty stout, be sure you have a good ground on the door frame, as in back to the battery via a jumper wire, before condemning the motor.

Personally, I would remove the regulator from the door and move it to the bench to change out the motor.

Tom

18 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Generally, these window motors are pretty stout,

I concur -- you may find all the old one needs is a good cleanup are lubrication.  Could be something as minor as a stuck brush.

50 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Morning Ken,

Generally, these window motors are pretty stout, be sure you have a good ground on the door frame, as in back to the battery via a jumper wire, before condemning the motor.

Personally, I would remove the regulator from the door and move it to the bench to change out the motor.

Tom

I am sure I can get it out but you’re gonna need to come to Des Moines to put in back in for me ! Already tried your Door frame ground trick hoping it was that simple but NO luck . Motor doesn’t make a sound when checked with power probe . Got good heat to the lead as well so it definitely is the motor. I’ll pull it out and let you know. Never tore into one of those so it will be a learning experience!  Hope EmTee is right on the brushes . Thanks

KReed

ROA 14549

Edited by kreed (see edit history)

Got the regulator with  motor attached out of the door easily after removing the glass  . The motor gears were for some unknown reason binding on the sprocket on the regulator . I was able to remove the motor w/o too much difficulty and it worked fine . Cleaned everything up and reinstalled the motor on the regulator and all worked perfectly......now the problem begins ....getting the whole mechanism back in the door and three rollers back on appropriate tracks and motor secured  to door frame proved to be a royal PITA..... gave up after two hours of  cussing  and trying various variations on a theme . As of now the mechanism is inside the door and the rollers  are in their tracks but not secured to the door.....  letting my BP come back down with help of Dr. Jack Daniels ..... try again tomorrow with a positive attitude  and then  hopefully not break the glass putting in back on the regulator . If anyone has secrets on installation steps , would be appreciated by my wife and my liver . 😎

KReed
ROA 14549

This may help a bit but it’s been years since I’ve done it and my liver was a washed as well.

I can’t recall each step BUT I do remember using the end of a thick broom handle horizontally thru the sheet metal to support (or arrest) the glass while powering the motor up and down until holes would align. It took me 2 days.
I felt like I deserved the Purple Heart. 
Wish I had more info to give you.

Wear gloves.
Best of luck.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Thanks Paul - appreciate the help. I do have a couple of 1x2 ‘s that I am using to prop things up . There are  6 bolts that hold the regulator / motor in place that I just can’t  get to line up after getting the rollers in place on their respective tracks which is due to the resistance in the main spring of the regulator . Have been powering up the motor to try and do it  but finding that you probably need an extra set of hands to really do it  right . My liver has recovered somewhat and BP down so will give it another shot later today . You are absolutely right about using gloves - real grease pit in that door ! Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549