BqUICK

Electra GSX Road Racer

Back before engine management systems; EFIs, etc, etc. We were a group of kids hot rodding our Buicks in East Flatbush. :cool:

My buddy's old man had a '66 Nail head 225 with a 401. :)Another's dad had a '71 225 with the 455.;) We came of age in the mid-70s having seen the Super Birds, Mustangs, & Camaros on the show room floor and on the street.

The difference was we wanted CLASS! The first time I saw a 225 blow away a '68 Camaro and a '68 440 GTX I was hooked:eek:. i wanted a 455 STAGE 1 powered '69 Electra; a super sleeper you could take your girl out in and look grown up in.

:cool:

33 years later, I'd feel like a fool rolling up to a nice hotel or restaurant driving in one of those kandy kolored kamaro kiddie karts! Still got my '69 225 but the old 455 STAGE 1 gave way to a twin turbo intercooled fuel injected STAGE 2 monster! :eek:

Looks like a nice classic Buick, driven by a guy with some silver hair thinning on top! That is until the turbos spool up and she sounds like a 747!

:P

Still going fast with class after all these years!

God Speed,

• Like 1

All,

It looks like I destroyed my transmission; before it died I pulled a few passes on a local airport runway.

Pretty good pulls at about 10 psi with a 2.48 high speed rear geared for 212 mph. A little doggy to start with a 110 mph quarter mile at 3,500 rpm.

God Speed,

Spring has finally returned to the frigid North country. I Just came back from a drive in our 4.6 Northstar Buick Lucern to the airport. The night was pretty clear and I was a bit restless so I jumped in the thing about an hour ago.

The lucern is a beautiful car with all the creature comforts. However,

the four port Buick is pretty gutless compared to the old four holer Buicks' of the past. :confused:

Last summer it wheezed through the quarter at 88 mph and 15.8 seconds. No guts off the line, no guts at the end of the quarter. It sounds like a Ferrari when she winds up and has fair power. It is just too heavy, at 4,200 lbs for the little motor to pull well. Now, my 4,700 lb bone stock '69 Electra 225 Custom Convertible is another story. That 4 holer would just be getting started at the end of the quarter, not winding down like the Lucerne. She was similar in the traps 15.5s at 89mph, but a totally different feel! :cool:

As I cruised in the brisk evening air I recalled how I took my 1969 Electra convertible down that same road, probably back in 1999 or so, when a 3 series Beemer drove past me doing about 80. It was beautiful dark car, nearly new as I recall. The things are pretty fast, especially the 535s which I suspect this one was. Raced one uphill in my '87 GN once, he hung in there pretty well.

Well, I was just cruising at 55 with the top down, minding my own business, it being a sunny Sunday morning at about 7am. I thought "I'm not going to let that German pass me by like that!. I punched it, kicking the massive 'big car' version of the turbo 400 transmission into passing gear.

We went through some shallow turns as the 430 wound up and entered a 5 mile straight. The car was making this incredible sound, like when you really went fast in your old ten speed and you hear the air whizzing through the spokes!;)

Deep in top gear at 100, just wind noise filled my ears as the 430 Buick did its job under the hood. She was pulling strong as we began gaining ground on the hot BMW. It was on! :cool:

To be honest, I got a little scared as I thought about what would happen if I flipped this baby; I'd be a long red stain doing a buck 25 with the top down. :eek: I kept my foot in it anyway! The incredible feeling of all that mass at my command, and bringing it to bear on Germany's finest was too much to resist.

I only glanced at the rectangular speedo briefly, which was pegged. She was still pulling hard, thanks to the 2.56 rear and the big 430 with 475 lb-ft of torque and 360 HP. We were going for about a mile with me getting ready for a pass when the Beemer slowed rapidly and pulled out of the fast lane; a state trooper revealed himself to be driving just ahead. :mad::eek::eek:

We had rolled up the back door of the already speeding trooper! I knew of a turn off coming up fast; it seemed like forever before the speedo began to register below 120 again as I gingerly let wind resistance slow me down before hitting the oversize Buick drum brakes. :D We slowed quickly as my mind raced about how to get out of this mess.

I remembered a tiny highway service road ahead, not a real exit but I might just work, that is if I hadn't passed it already. Now below 80, I broke hard right, wheeling into the little unmarked side road. I ducked off the highway and headed back to town. No sirens for me, but I knew the Bimmer guy was toast; I did not care to look back. He was probably pretty pissed when all of a sudden he was alone with a trooper and I had somehow vanished. Oh well...:rolleyes:

I thought I got away scott-free; having cooly put the car in the garage where she laid low for another week. :o Probably went to church, thanking God and my guardian angel. :rolleyes:

That next week I drove down the same road in my daily driver. It was time to go to the barber. As I sat in the barber's chair; the barber goes "I was going to work last Sunday morning when these cars shot by me." "I don't see Why SOME people like to drive 150mph around here?!?" Busted, I just sat there and got shorn like a sheep while smiling to myself. :cool:

A little bit of Faithful Pursuit history.

* 1968 started a savings account

* 1972 mom said save for college or buy a car (I was 12) I WANTED TO BUY A CAR.

* 1974 Fell in love with the 1969 Electra!

* 1978 scraped up $900

* 1978 Fell in love with Deborah from Brooklyn Tech H.S.

* 1978 Purchased the car from a lot in Coney Island.

* 1979 Pope John Paul II's motorcade drives right past me at LaGuardia Airport.

* 1979 I nearly wrecked it, Deborah was with me.

* 1979 I vowed to restore her better than ever. Designed a Tuskegee Airmen P-47 version of the Buick.

* 1982 Took car off the road and worked to graduate from engineering school. She sat there in Nillas clinic lot for years$.

* 1987 Married Deborah.

* 1988 First child arrives, Michael A. Joseph, III

* 1988 Moved from NY to Georgia to work as an engineer with J&J

* 1989 Second Child arrives, Rosemary Monica Joseph

* 1992 Buick trailered to Georia, no rear end in it.

* 1993 Third child arrives, Benjamin James Joseph

* 1994 Bought parts car from Colorado with rust free body & disk brakes.

* 1995 Fourth child arrives, Martin Russell Joseph

* 1995 Moved to Corning NY with 2 1969 Coupes and one Convertible.

* 1996 John Dove rescues the dead restoration project with test bed idea

* 1996 Original body was junked. Chassis was stripped and painted.

* 1997 BUICK 455 STAGE I in 1997 built 493HP/535 Ft-Lbs on Scotty's Dyno.

* 1997 Fifth child arrives, Blair O'Niel Alexis Joseph

* 1998 GT Performance, Inc. FORD 9", NODULAR CASE, MOSER AXLES, 4.11

* 1999 Klopp Transmission builds Competition TH375, Redline Comp. Clutches/Allison Converter

* 2000 Chassis was narrowed by motorsports Hall of Famer Gary Shaw

* 2001 9/11. Drove '96 Riviera to NYC and left Knights of Columbus patch at Ground Zero.

* 2002 Chassis man Gary Shaw suffers a massive coronary at Tioga Speedway and dies.

* 2002 Machuga Chassis takes over after Shaw's death, September 2002

* 2003 Suspension, Cage, Cell, Floor, Body mated back to chassis

* 2004 John Dove dies 3 months before unveiling.

* 2004 February, runs under its own power for the 1st time since '82!

* 2004 March, Tim Putman begins paint. T minus 4 weeks to deadline!

* 2004 Fly Boyz does the top and interior, Tim Putman re-installs the safety cage and trailers it to Elmira.

* 2004 April 24th Unvieling at Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. Event at Wings of Eagles.

* 2004 Wings of Eagles Director, M. Gen. Mike Hall dedicates Faithful Pursuit before 6 WWII Tuskegee Airmen & 300 guests.Raised $4,000 for charity.

* 2005 Tuskegee Airmen's National Convention in Orlando, Florida. In door Convention center display.

* 2005 The boys are old enough to crew. They polish parts, load trailer.

* 2005 Empire Dragway, MT. Morris, NY

* 2006 Start new engine program. Designed motor to withstand 1,000 lb-ft.

* 2006 Roy Hopkins drives her in SCCA SOLO II, Monroe County Community College, Rochester, NY.

* 2007 Empire Dragway, Rochester, NY, 12.99 @ 102.9 mph

* 2007 Scotty Guadagno begins build. Special pistons take 3mos., lots of billet, ceramics, & inconel.

* 2007 Klopp Transmission in Corning, NY, rebuilt with aluminum drum and other HD parts for 1000 lb-ft.

* 2008 Scotty's Racing Technologies complete BUICK 430 STAGE 2.

* 2008 Christmas eve. Jake Harrington, Romeo Kamnang, Ben Joseph, Martin, & Blair do motor install.

* 2008 Edge Torque converter rebuilds their unit for 1000 lb-ft engine.

* 2008 Chassis man Dave Machuga suffers a major heart attack and lives!

* 2009 Scotty's Racing Technologies provides the Halo Girdle for the Stage 2

* 2009 Ben, Martin, Blair pull the engine and install girdle check pan clearance problems with me.

* 2009 Racer Donnie Warren drives truck and trailer to Tuskegee Airmen convention in Las Vegas with the boys and me.

* 2009 Displayed in Las Vegas at the national Tuskegee Airmen Convention with the boys help

* 2009 Imagine Injection links Twin Turbo Superchargers into FAST engine management system.

* 2009 Dyno at Imagine Injection in Phoenix, AZ. 695 RWH (Unofficial)

* 2009 Silver State Classic in Ely Mechanical problems, could not compete. (unofficial 122mph)

* 2009 110 mph 1/4 mile passes on Costa Aviation airport runway back in Corning.

* 2009 Food Pantry fund raiser at Costas Aviation.

* 2009 Weyman Watson, Pat Terrelongue, & Col. Clayton Lawrence fly in for Faithful Pursuit display.

* 2010 Dave Machuga Revised rear suspension mounts, doubling strength.

* 2010 Jake Harrington checks valve lash and replaces bent push rods, reset rockers.

* 2011 Swapped 2.48 for 3.33.

* 2011 Klopp Transmission troubleshoots driveline problem.

Edited by BqUICK
Added details (see edit history)

#1 and #8 cylinder's exhaust lifters 'mushroomed'. Looks like they stopped rotating. They were pretty mangled and I was lucky to get them out. New solid lifters came; I just figured the hydro's collapsed. The mystery is why did the rods bend?

We'll pull the cam too and get fresh rods while we are at it. Got two bent rods out of the new set I put in last summer. We'll have to get to the bottom of why this happened in the first place. We may have to go with uncoated springs; the thermal coating may be keeping them from reaching an operating temperature that reduces spring force.

Gotta talk to Isky or one of the other big cam guys. Our people don't dive that deep on the thermodynamics of this problem.

From what I've read so far very awesome Buick... Time to get back to reading the other 18 pages. Just down the road from where I live too!

Centurion 72,

Too bad you missed seeing the car in Batavia at the National some years ago. I wonder if Danvers, MA National is in the plans? Not too far to haul.

John

John, I will not make the BCA National Meet this year. Here are some of the things we will be doing:

Install tall drag springs (Done)

Re-gear with 3.25 spool in GT Performance FORD 9” (Done)

Remove turbo piping and inspect (50% removed. 47' of piping!)

Remove turbos and inspect/paint (Done)

Replace cam with Schneider (Done)

Replace hydraulic lifters with solids (Done)

Paint fuelie manifold red. (Done)

Paint timing cover yellow (Done)

Paint transmission silver, red, and yellow (Done)

Add 6 lug Allison Converter (Done)

Flush piping, remove rust and scale & oil (Working)

Floor dyno (July)

New York Int'l Raceway Park (Mid July)

Tuskegee Airmen Convention display (August)

Tore down much more of the Faithful Pursuit over the last few days. Installed a Schneider cam. The last one, probably a Lunati was wiped out. #1 & #8 exhaust lifters mushroomed out. Ugly failure. New rods, solids, cam. :mad:

Turbos seem fine, play is okay. One of the turbo pumps hiccuped, starboard one, and oil backed up in Starboard turbo. Oil went into the intake and exhaust. Cotton's Performance says Turbonetics ball bearing turbos do that. A little too much oil and it goes through the bearing seals. :eek:

I guess we thought we were pretty bright buying the super duper STS oiling system. Nobody thought about what kind of mess you'd have if one of the pumps ever quit! Duh. UNFAVORABLE BOOST CONDITIONS. :mad:

Oh yeah, we were REQUESTED to return to the Tuskegee Airmen's National Convention! It is an honor!!!Taking a bit more time to paint and clean up for the show. :cool:http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg479/electragsx/Faithful%20Pursuit/1969%20Electra%20Twin-Turbo/1969BUICKELECTRAGSX.jpg

Edited by BqUICK
Add details (see edit history)

Tuskegee Airmen Convention in August! We are invited to attend with the Faithful Pursuit.

just re-assembled engine; got 47 feet of turbo plumbing, the rear end, and more to install.

FAITHFUL PURSUIT ENGINE - SUPER SABRE STAGE 2

http://s543.photobucket.com/albums/gg479/electragsx/Faithful%20Pursuit/?action=view&current=FaithfulPursuitSimilidonLogoRev2copy.jpg&newest=1

Edited by BqUICK (see edit history)

The George Lucas "Red Tails" movie is finally coming out in January 2012. Our Red Tail racer will be on display at the Tuskegee Airmen Nation Convention in 3 days in National Harbor, MD.

The Tuskegee Airmen Convention was great. Over 60 of the WW 2 heroes and heroines were there. 1500 people or so total, lots of stars, bars, and eagles on shoulders. The Tuskegee Airmen even gave us a few hundred for diesel fuel and crew expenses; that was cool. Ben, Martin, and Blair crewed for setup in Maryland.

Here is a photo of the Buick "Faithful Pursuit" race car program supporters within Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. Here are some of the WW2 veterans who have supported us for 8 years.

Left to Right.

Wilfred DeFour, Supply, 332nd Fighter Group in the blue blazer

George Watson, crew Chief, 332nd Fighter Group

Col. Clayton Lawrence, B-25 Pilot, 477th Group

Dabney Montgomery, Chapter Chaplain

post-30830-143138678934_thumb.jpg

post-30830-143138678937_thumb.jpg

post-30830-143138678939_thumb.jpg

post-30830-143138678941_thumb.jpg

post-30830-143138678943_thumb.jpg

Pulling water in #7 cylinder, saw it puffing mist. Pulled the heads and found some corrosion between #7 and the nearest water jacket passage. Jake Harrington and I looked them over and he took them to Napa's machine shop. They resurfaced them, removing .015 off.

Faithful Pursuit was developed by senior mechanical engineer Michael Joseph. The turbocharged masterpiece has not worked to its full potential yet. We are thinking the 430 heads have lost significant capacity and may no longer be good turbo heads. We are going to try some higher cc 455 pro-built Guadagno heads from '97.

The Faithful Pursuit cost as much to build and operate as two ZR-1 Corvettes; that Buick is :D"Gold Plated Brass Knuckles".

Each of the Faithful Pursuit's turbos are rated for +600 HP. The specially built SRT 430 was developed for the turbo application. The 9:1 motor had 425 HP/475 FT-LBs of torque out of the box.

The motor began its life as a 430 Stage 2 tribute motor. The motor was to go into a '69 225 Convertible. I found the Stage 2 cam and for 1969. The TRW pistons and other components were not available so modern stuff would have to fill it.

Many people believe that the Stage I and II options came to be with the 1970 series 455s. Stage 2 was unveiled in 1968 with the 400. 430 Stage 1s and 2s are rare but were used even in 1970 before the 455 could be used, legally in certain competitions. Yes, the 430 Stage 2 was a real engine built for competition in the 60s and early 1970.

When the Faithful Pursuit Phase II plan began for the 1000 HP Smilodon engine, the new Bulldog Performance aluminum big block was the logical choice. When it failed, the TA big-block was the next opportunity. When it did not materialize, we had no choice but to build up the 430. Marginally stiffer than a 455, the 430 was beefed up further. We were to run Silver State Classic Challenge in '09 and needed to begin the build in 2007.

Guadagno said it would probably not last long but we had a "Rocky Balboa" strategy. Go in with the toughest hardware we could afford up front. We would hit hard in the early rounds before the inevitable structural collapse.

Billet rods, forged pistons, halo girdle, ARPs, flowed oiling system would help. Short bursts of 1000 lb-ft may be possible. We all know the Buick cannot stand 800 hp for long, let alone 1,000 hp. The turbo power is a bit more gradually applied so it might survive if we didn't blow it on the stand.

We did a couple of 100+mph passes in Nevada in 2009 and in NY in the Fall of '09 as well. Power calculated to about 600hp; Way under potential. With Faithful Pursuits 5 bar chromoly suspension and incredible grip, the feel of acceleration was superb. Mechanical problems killed our efforts so we are coming back in 2012 with some more passes.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f118/101871d1317436311-electra-gsx-road-racer-conv430.jpg

The Faithful Pursuit, (F/P-47) crew attended the pre-screening of the new movie about the Tuskegee Airmen on MLK Day in NYC. The Airmen autographed copies of the limited edition prints of their Red Tailed '69 Electra GSX race car.

post-30830-143138810671_thumb.jpg

We did a couple of 100+mph passes in Nevada in 2009 and in NY in the Fall of '09 as well. Power calculated to about 600hp; Way under potential. With Faithful Pursuits 5 bar chromoly suspension and incredible grip, the feel of acceleration was superb. Mechanical problems killed our efforts so we are coming back in 2012 with some more passes.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f118/101871d1317436311-electra-gsx-road-racer-conv430.jpg

BqUICK,

Been following you from years back--even have the T-shirt to prove it! I've always appreciated how you cite the history of the '69 430 cid Buick, as well as the modifications you make to it.

Back when you started to put this car together, the Faithful Pursuit was billed as a Grand Touring race car rather than a dragster, so it's good news to hear you're heading back to Nevada to start turning left again. Going "short quick and straight" with this car has always seemed to me like a good way to spend the most money for the shortest seat time. Can you get time on any other tracks?

A fan.

Bquick, I'm hoping to see "Red Tails" this weekend, and immediately thought of you. I'm glad that the car was able to attend the pre-screening. It's fun to catch up on your recent stories about Faithful Pursuit.

Sure would love to see The Faithful Pursuit at the Charlotte Motor Speedway this June. :) Any chance of that happening BqUICK?

Bquick, I'm hoping to see "Red Tails" this weekend, and immediately thought of you. I'm glad that the car was able to attend the pre-screening. It's fun to catch up on your recent stories about Faithful Pursuit.

The FP-47 did not make it to the theater yet, we're down for head work. We will rendezvous with the actual Red Tail's in Las Vegas in August.

Col. Len Nevels, USAF, retired, is coordinating the display area and he asked me to help put it together. We'll have old parachutes, oil drums, ammo boxes and make up an old time officers club. Show cars will be lined up like fighters!

Gotta raise about $15K to do it right. Want a FP-47 Tee Shirt? That's a start!

God Speed!

Sure would love to see The Faithful Pursuit at the Charlotte Motor Speedway this June. :) Any chance of that happening BqUICK?

FP-47 would eat up that track. We will more likely do our trials at Watkins Glen, 25 minutes away in the summer. Her two chassis designers were champion racers.

The late Gary Shaw still holds the B Production Corvette lap record at Watkins! Dave Machuga is six time 'Modifieds' champion and did the major redesign of Faithful Pursuit's chromoly five bar NASCAR CUP setup.

post-30830-14313884426_thumb.jpg

post-30830-143138844275_thumb.jpg