The 27 Chrysler 70 is here..Some parts quests

I'm over from the General post about aquiring the 27 model 70.I finally bought it and brought it home last Sunday.

I haven't decided how far in restoration I would go with the car but it certainly is in good enough to go through the job of getting up to a running driving condition as-is without tearing the car to bits .

The motor turned a scant with the crank and we pulled the plugs and dosed the cylinders with Marble Misery Earl and it's turning much better

.We concluded the cylinder head was off somewhere between 1970 and ten years ago by the fact that the Thompson or Thorson valve heads are shiney clean,the head gasket copper and white core are still clean and bright edge and the goose neck nuts were not run down with a new gasket under the goose neck.So what ever job was taking place it was not completed and motor not  run.I take note I should retorque the head now and a few times after we get it running,who knows when?

Another part of this detective story  revalation goes along with why we see a bit of cotton and shredded bark down through the radiator neck opening..Ah ha! the upper rad.  hose naturally was  off with this previous head business..Lets hope there are no nests in the block .EEK.

We will be cleaing the radiator of course.

All this being noticed as we cursery oil every nut and bolt we see that may have to be removed ,from wheel lugs to brake cylinders.

Now to my inquiery using the longest worded route as possible.

We see the original overly complicated or constipated Ball &Ball Penberthy carburator is  intact but is riddled with minor cracking and blown out surface blisters of white metal,so that thing has had it and is planed to become a desk lamp !

The question is what is known for a properly sized replacement carburetors for the 70 Chrysler six ,from new universals ,(if available) back to old universal carbs like the Cater BB updrafts?

Any model numbers for size to investigate and ones to avoid? Are manifold addapters needed or made.

Lastly will any new carb NOT takeqp gravity feed fuel ?

Cheers

DMS.

0531201847-1.jpg

0601201011.jpg

• Like 2

Well done on buying this car, it looks a nice project. 

How about a picture of the dash and the fedco number, this will help to see if the car is a model G70 or Finer 70. Although both cars have a G prefix on motor numbers, there are lots of differences when it comes to parts.

Good luck with your project.

Regards

Viv.

In the day, Marvel, Schebler, and Stromberg all offered replacement carburetors.

I have never seen either of the specified Marvel or Stromberg carburetors. The Schebler model S is not either the least expensive or the most reliable carburetor in the world, but could be found. Of course, there are other carburetors that may be used.

The Chrysler 70 has a cross-flange intake, so any modern carburetor would require a cross-flange adapter. The adapter adds to the distance the engine vacuum must pull fuel, thus making the carburetor less efficient. If used, one should be as thin as possible retaining the necessary rigidity.

In general (there are exceptions), updraft carburetors do not care if the fuel supply is low pressure or gravity, as long as the carburetor is modified internally for the system chosen. The exceptions would be carburetors which have insufficient float buoyancy to support pressure (most, maybe all Johnson models would fit this category).

When choosing an aftermarket carburetor, the terrain where the car will be primarily used should be considered. MANY of the cheaper aftermarket carburetors, especially the modern ones, have NO power circuit. Not the best choice if one lives in the Ozark region of Missouri. They do work pretty well in the Missouri bootheel or southern Illinois.

Jon.

Thank for the responses.

I'll get the dash pics up asap.The Fedco number is PR069P .The last 1970 registration shows that number to be PR069D.The D is obviously a P on the plate..,but these things happen.

We have some time to find a carburetor as we have the crank case oil pan to clean out,the radiator and fuel tank to clean ,the Stewart vacuum pump to overhaul to keep us busy.Not to mention(but I will) the rear end and transmission to flush out the entire brake system to restore.And the regular tune up. B.S. before we even think to start it.

A fan belt wouldn't hurt.

Side question is,I  have various spark plugs to cover this motor.but I'm curious as to what was originally supplied?.

D.

For historians a dash pic of the Fedco plate and overall dash shot.

The engine number is G1696343.

The button under the Fedco plate is now a nifty push button starter switch not "fumer button.The floor starter switch gone. (Anyone have a spare?)The left of the Fedco is a period looking button that does not push pull or turn.On the back side of dash is a copper tubing going straight to the center of it.I haven't traced the tube but think maybe it has something to do with the vacuum wiper and the knob is frozen.

And last there is a small push pull period switch with 2 posts on back but nothing connected..Possibly a replaced fumer button long abandon.

Note:the missing hand brake.It was found under the seat( another story)and was one of the deciding factors whether or not to buy this bus.

0603201556.jpg

0603201557.jpg

• Like 1

The car you have is a 1927 Finer 70, G series. The G series had the 1926 model G70 and in 1927 they carried over with a different dash and many changes becoming the Finer 70. When looking for spares it gets interesting, as the parts manual tells you at which build number parts changed, but does not tell what the changes are.

I have 2 of these guage panels, one has a capillary tube fed gas guage, the other has an electrical gas guage, both are for Finer 70 and totally different to my 26 early G series.

This is the earlier 26 G series dash

1065250319_1926dash.JPG.d56158d9f1e1d42875af8b22d252d736.JPG

Regards

Viv

Thank you Viv.

That is very helpfull in pin pointing model details.

Maybe someone can pin point the syle..I think it's a Royal sedan( Royal Blue colour) or is it a Crown..It sure isn't a Brougham.

Blue body.black window reveal mouldings.

Double line ivory pin strip on both belt mouldings and striped hood louvers.

Plan dark greenish brown mohair interior.

Nice real mahogany window garnish.

Any ideas?

+

0601201013.jpg

0602201852.jpg

8 minutes ago, Flivverking said:

Viv W ,mentioned my heap is a "Finer 70"model.

Can someone tell me what is the differences between a regular 70 model and the "Finer" 70 of 1927.

Thanxs.

From one of my Chrysler books....

IMG_8142 (2).JPG

IMG_8143 (2).JPG

Thanks , That clerifies what I thought.

"Finer" was more or less  just next years sales hype.

0ne less wheel rim lug nut and bolt and a bit more fat tyer..weeee! I'm sold.

I can hear the salesman now.

"Sir,if you drive it away today and we will through in this nifty General Electric waffle iron .A $1.22 value absolutely free. Just pay a small additional charge of .61 cents for the electrical cord. Your wife will thank you for buying the Chrysler Finer 70 of 1927!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few period advertising still photos of actual cars of what was reffered to as a Crown and a Royal sedan. (if those photo titles were correctly applied?) So it appeared the Crown and Royal both have the landua bars . 

That would make my '27 70 "Finer" 4 door to be the Brougham model.

Brougham sounds exotic but is the plainest and cheapest of the 3 ,4 door sedan models I've read to be offered for 1927 model 70.

Brougham $1,525

Royal Sedan $1,595

Crown Sedan $1,795

( model/ price from the classic car data base on the web..)

0602201852a.jpg