1948 Buick 248 Wanted

Roseleno

Hi all,

New here and in need of some help.  I'm hunting for an as complete as possible 248 engine and trans, ideally from pulley to tail shaft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you in advance.

-Joe

56 minutes ago, Roseleno said:

Hi all,

New here and in need of some help.  I'm hunting for an as complete as possible 248 engine and trans, ideally from pulley to tail shaft.

Thank you in advance.

-Joe

Welcome newbie. Do you plan to put it in a `48 Buick? Or what?  Manual 3speed or Dyna-flo? In `48 front engine mount was moved from the front to the side of the engine. `48-`50 248 should fit. Engine crankshafts differ from manual and Dyna-flo.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

Thank you for such a quick response!  The engine is out of a custom car built in 1948.  I'm looking for a 3 speed manual.  The way the block bolted into the car's perches was by way of a flat plate that bolted behind the timing chain cover.  I'm obviously not a Buick expert and all this information is unbelievably helpful.  

Many thanks for any help in locating these goodies.

-Joe

24 minutes ago, Roseleno said:

Thank you for such a quick response!  The engine is out of a custom car built in 1948.  I'm looking for a 3 speed manual.  The way the block bolted into the car's perches was by way of a flat plate that bolted behind the timing chain cover.  I'm obviously not a Buick expert and all this information is unbelievably helpful.  

-Joe

Your engine may be pre `48. If you could post some pictures of what you have and the engine number would help, engine number is located just to the front of the distributor. Picture attached has a front mount and you can see it has the side mount(4bolts in a square)making it a `48 or later. A 263 engine would also work. Where are you located?1948 BUICK STRAIGHT Eight 248 Cubic Inch Engine Motor with ...

As you can see from the pictures, she didn't fare too well in the fire making engine identification difficult.  Thank goodness for humans as smart as you!

I'm located in Southern California.

-Joe

1.jpg

0.jpg

3 hours ago, Roseleno said:

As you can see from the pictures, she didn't fare too well in the fire making engine identification difficult.  Thank goodness for humans as smart as you!

-Joe

On 5/22/2020 at 3:36 AM, Roseleno said:

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

-Joe

5 hours ago, Roseleno said:

-Joe

The position of the dip stick puts the block as 1940 or later.

Do you have photos of the transmission?  1938 and before stick shift. 1939 and later column change. 1939 transmission is different to 1940 and later

The Norman Tims car by any chance?

https://www.conceptcarz.com/z18217/norman-timbs-special.aspx

https://www.thedrive.com/news/24870/california-wildfire-claims-vintage-car-collection-including-1-of-1-1948-norman-timbs-special

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/malibu-wildfires-destroy-norman-timbs-special-other-rare-cars/TJ2EIxNg0wx3dLCeIc7TIJ/

Would get more response in https://forums.aaca.org/forum/12-buick-buysell/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Roseleno said:

-Joe

1.jpg

0.jpg

Looks like the pistons melted. What`s the car look like? Better than the engine i hope..

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

On 5/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, Roseleno said:

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

-Joe

Joe, i know a guy with lots/tons of Buick stuff(may have complete engines/trans). He moved from San Fernando Valley a couple years ago to Pahrump, Nv., just west of Las Vegas(not too far from SoCal). Once i hear back from him, and if he has what you need, with his approval, i`ll relay his contact info. Tom

19 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Joe, i know a guy with lots/tons of Buick stuff(may have complete engines/trans). He moved from San Fernando Valley a couple years ago to Pahrump, Nv., just west of Las Vegas(not too far from SoCal). Once i hear back from him, and if he has what you need, with his approval, i`ll relay his contact info. Tom

I got an email from him and will talk to him later today.