Hub cap holder fixing help!

SC38dls

My 38 Studebaker has original hubcaps and wheels. The right front keeps throwing the hubcap if I hit the smallest bump or pot hole. I’ve already been told to avoid bumps and pot holes but I’m just an old guy that doesn’t pay attention to goofy advice so I’m turning to all of you experts old car guys and gals. 
What can I do to make the clips  work better?  I’ve tried putting a brace behind them and bending them in a little. Not sure If I accomplished that as the next drive loss it again. 
Any ideas for a good fix besides don’t hit the bumps and pot holes

The car is a daily driver not a garage/trailer queen as I figure it is 82 and going to outlast me even with a missing hub cap. 
Thanks in advance for any and all advice, even the goofy stuff in these times. 
dave s 

0BEA62A7-3684-47D3-B4C2-F7671927128C.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS
Add pic (see edit history)

Compare the clips and hubcap on this wheel with others on the car, something must be bent. also paint the inside of the hubcap with bright pink or orange high visibility paint, because hubcaps always fall with the chrome facing down, so the bright color will be easier to see if you lose one.

It reminds me of the time in the late '60s I was walking alongside the road near my grandparents' farm.  Embedded in the tall grass by the fence I saw a round metal object.  I picked it up and found it to be a hubcap with a Ford script logo (it was upright when found).  I picked it up and went back to show Dad, asking why someone would paint the front of it flat black.  He said it was made of nickel and was oxidized.  The back was a bit dirty with no black oxidation.  I took it home and was able to polish the oxidation off except for some small pits along the rim.  It belonged to a '37 pickup.  Considering the amount of oxidation, who knows how many decades it sat there since the grass was never cut by the fence.  

Depending on the weight and balance (offset of the hub) of the hubcap, the speed at which the vehicle is traveling, and the terrain on which it lands (rough, smooth or hilly) and how much it bounces determines which side the hubcap will end up landing on.