How to remove the dash gauge cluster..??

sunnybaba

Hi again..... I am needing to remove the gauge cluster from my 145 sedan..... to get at the clock.... I know that I will have to disconnect the speedometer cable... and there must be some nuts, holding brackets in place behind the dash..... Please give me some clues... as to the easiest way to pull out the gauge cluster..... Thanks,  Sunny

Sunny The clock is removed with 2 small machine screws. Get squiggled your butt under the dash with a light and a medium screw driver and pop it out  Should take less than 1 minute!  Happy days buddy.... Mike

To get the dash out, you'll have to undo the choke and spark cables and the speedo cable.  And if you don't want to work on it under the dash, to get it out further you'll have to disconnect the battery, take pix of where everything goes and then disconnect the wiring from the switches and gauges.  Maybe even label the wires with masking tape and a number code to a drawing you can make. 

Then, looking up from underneath, you'll see that at each end of the back side of the cluster housing there are two "L" clips near the corners holding the cluster into the back of the dash board.  Remove the nuts and lock washers holding the clips on the screws attached to the dash board and the cluster can be removed. 

In addition to small screws, the front and rear faces of the cluster are held together with the switches and choke/spark cables, so those will have to be removed from the cluster to get the glass out. 

And while your doing all that, if the wiring is original, moving it will likely cause old, brittle rubber insulation to crack and break off. You might want to consider ordering new wiring harnesses from Rhode Island Wire and avoid electrical problems and the high risk of an electrical fire when the car starts being bounced down the road. I work on them full time, and I've yet to see a car that age where the wiring was still safe. 

If you can't replace old wiring. at least get the biggest fire extinguisher you can, and be ready for a Chinese fire drill as you try to get the battery dsconnected to stop the short causing the fire. Been there a few times. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Thank you Paul..... Very clear description of what is needed to get it out.... the previous owner, Dick Lamphere put a battery cut off switch on it.... which helps eliminate the fire extinguisher ...... and he put in new wiring and a fuse block back there too....... Thanks, will do fine now......... Sunny 

Paul, you forgot to mention the chrome trim on the dash is spring loaded - I do not remember it being an explosion to dis-assemble/reassemble, but it took some time not to break anything.  All that old rubber was bad - I think I trimmed down some foam sticky seals for door jams from the hardware store and cut new gaskets for the gauges from a manila folder. 

John,

Not mentioned because the tension form those small springs is negligible. Only enough to hold the glass against the front frame.

Do you mean there was rubber in your Franklin gauge cluster ? Franklin didn't use any.

Yes, the gauge gaskets are very much like manila folder stock. Just smoother finish and more yellowish than the heavy paper gaskets originally used.  

FYI, Felpro brand Velmoid 1/32 inch gasket paper - available in most autoparts stores- is almost identical to the original paper gaskets used.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)