1990 TC hardtop Manual Latches

Hello out there all you quarantined TC owners,

I'm looking for a set of the manual hard top latches for my 1990 TC.

Also, any advice on front drivers seat removal, mine is stuck all the way back and won't move.

Any and all info, advice etc. greatly accepted.

Thanks, & stay safe,

Chet

19 hours ago, CWigleyjr said:

Hello out there all you quarantined TC owners,

I'm looking for a set of the manual hard top latches for my 1990 TC.

Also, any advice on front drivers seat removal, mine is stuck all the way back and won't move.

Any and all info, advice etc. greatly accepted.

Thanks, & stay safe,

Chet

Hi Chet, my friend Bob tells me that you are looking for the latches for the hard roof that lock the roof down on the sides of the roof right behind the 1/4 windows. Chrysler eliminated them after the ‘89 models. I have even removed them from my ‘89.

Removing the driver’s seat: Remove the front track retaining bolts, tilt the seat back somewhat in order to access the electrical connector under the seat, disconnect and test for power at the connector. If you have power, use jumper wires to power forward/rearward motor. If no power, use external power source to provide power using jumper wires. Drive seat forward until rear retaining nuts are exposed. Remove them and lift out seat.

If you are unable to do this, take your car to a qualified mechanic.

Hi Hemi,

Hmmm, mine is a 1990 verified via vin number and my hard top has/had latches. Actually I have one latch, the other is broken and I only have the handle part. The holes for the latches are there. The one latch works fine but if they’re no longer needed, all the better.

Info on seat removal sounds good. The seat attempts to move when the lever is pushed, forward and back but acts like it’s jammed. Haven’t been able to see if there’s anything in the track jamming it up which is why I figure I need to remove the entire seat and inspect the track. Gonna be tough getting to the back bolts, that’s all.

Thanks Hemi for the info. Stay safe and have a great day,

Chet

I have seen a few early 90's that have the hardtop side latches. For those owners who always have the hardtop on, the latches can give a sense of security that the top will be held on if the rear latches become problematic. They really don't do much other than snug the weatherstrip against the car but can be added to the body if the hardtop is changed to one that is made for the latches.

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)

4 hours ago, CWigleyjr said:

Hi Hemi,

Hmmm, mine is a 1990 verified via vin number and my hard top has/had latches. Actually I have one latch, the other is broken and I only have the handle part. The holes for the latches are there. The one latch works fine but if they’re no longer needed, all the better.

Info on seat removal sounds good. The seat attempts to move when the lever is pushed, forward and back but acts like it’s jammed. Haven’t been able to see if there’s anything in the track jamming it up which is why I figure I need to remove the entire seat and inspect the track. Gonna be tough getting to the back bolts, that’s all.

Thanks Hemi for the info. Stay safe and have a great day,

Chet

If you really want to find the latch you need, I’ll give you the ones I took off my TC.

WOW, I’d be more than happy to take them off your hands and pay any shipping involved. I actually only need the left side latch. I have the handle but the rest of the mechanism is missing. May have fallen down into the well below the hole, I don’t know, got the car this way. Let me know how you’d like to handle this and Thanks a Bunch.

Chet

2 hours ago, CWigleyjr said:

WOW, I’d be more than happy to take them off your hands and pay any shipping involved. I actually only need the left side latch. I have the handle but the rest of the mechanism is missing. May have fallen down into the well below the hole, I don’t know, got the car this way. Let me know how you’d like to handle this and Thanks a Bunch.

Chet

I’m in the process of resurrecting the headliner at a friends shop. I’ll be down there tomorrow. Will pick up all the latch hardware. I’ll PM you. Keep an eye out for a message.

Ya, just figured that out...ouch !!! Actually was able to force the seat forward enough to get to the rear bolts. Seems like the screw mechanism is bent on one side causing a great deal of strain on the motor. Not sure where to go from here.....YET.

Thanks,

Chet