Another Piddly Packard Project - Front License Plate

Bob Stein

My 1941 Packard has a front license plate for the first time in at least 27 years - it was restored in 1993 and ended up without one then, though it likely never had a front bracket.  I was able to pick up a reproduction bracket off eBay, and my 'spare' license plate was restored by Wayne Tyler of Richmond.  There was a bit of trouble, first because the car has an apparently rare front pan over the bumper brackets, and then because the reproduction bracket's mounting hole was too small for the bumper bolt.  Once I got that drilled out, getting the bracket and license installed was fairly easy.  I made some rubber washers out of grommets to go behind the license plate mounting washers to protect the finish.  It all looks very nice, and the car is now fully legal.

plate_1200.jpg

• Like 3

Looking Sharp !

Congrats, Bob, you have much to be proud of, and will enjoy getting some seat time in your Packard.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 7:57 PM, Bob Stein said:

My 1941 Packard has a front license plate for the first time in at least 27 years - it was restored in 1993 and ended up without one then, though it likely never had a front bracket.  I was able to pick up a reproduction bracket off eBay, and my 'spare' license plate was restored by Wayne Tyler of Richmond.  There was a bit of trouble, first because the car has an apparently rare front pan over the bumper brackets, and then because the reproduction bracket's mounting hole was too small for the bumper bolt.  Once I got that drilled out, getting the bracket and license installed was fairly easy.  I made some rubber washers out of grommets to go behind the license plate mounting washers to protect the finish.  It all looks very nice, and the car is now fully legal.

plate_1200.jpg

Bob. This may be a nit-pick, but you need to turn your two bumper bolts 90 degrees. They should be horizontal.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...