1938 RC pickup, rear axle outter bearing oil seal

this_is_greg

The rear axle oil seal is leaking on my 1938 Dodge RC pickup. There is differential oil leaking past the seal.

My question is, does the outer bearing get lub from the different oil or should it be greased like the front wheel bearings?

Based on the parts catalog I have, there is an 'inner axel drive shaft oil washer' between the outer bearing and differential bearing adjuster. It's not called a seal. See item #18 in image. Is this to keep differential oil from the outer bearing?

Looking for advise on how deep I have to go to repair the leak.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

IMG_3076.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, this_is_greg said:

The rear axle oil seal is leaking on my 1938 Dodge RC pickup. There is differential oil leaking past the seal.

My question is, does the outer bearing get lub from the different oil or should it be greased like the front wheel bearings?

Based on the parts catalog I have, there is an 'inner axel drive shaft oil washer' between the outer bearing and differential bearing adjuster. It's not called a seal. See item #18 in image. Is this to keep differential oil from the outer bearing?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG.ae9fa6b58658fe4ae908d87305c631b8.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Greg

IMG_3076.JPG

Ioll do some research. I did a 49, looks different. Ask Victor?

20160331_154946.jpg

20160331_155013.jpg

20160806_154521.jpg

20160806_154716.jpg

20160808_194635.jpg

20160809_162512.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Hi Surf. You need this truck to haul your 38 around to shows. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Dodge-RE31-Truck/124156072596?hash=item1ce8475294:g:GngAAOSwrcZemHah

With the deals going on now, am looking at a newer Ram....😁

Greg - Number 27 and 31 keeps the Diff oil in, the bearing use the same oil as the diff gears...been so long ago I did that....memory only.

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

That nice tanker would come in handy to stock up on gas while its so cheap. :D  at least for those not in California... 

Its my understanding that its  the number 18  "oil washer" (seal?) that keeps the diff oil out of the bearing, and the bearings are greased? . I put grease in the plugs shown, and have not had any leaks. and rather than replacing the outer seals I soaked them it thin oil rolled the leather as shown. they softened up again. 

On 4/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, countrytravler said:

Ioll do some research. I did a 49, looks different. Ask Victor?

20160331_154946.jpg

20160331_155013.jpg

20160806_154521.jpg

20160806_154716.jpg

20160808_194635.jpg

20160809_162512.jpg

21 hours ago, 38rcdodge said:

That nice tanker would come in handy to stock up on gas while its so cheap. :D  at least for those not in California... 

Its my understanding that its  the number 18  "oil washer" (seal?) that keeps the diff oil out of the bearing, and the bearings are greased? . I put grease in the plugs shown, and have not had any leaks. and rather than replacing the outer seals I soaked them it thin oil rolled the leather as shown. they softened up again. 

Could be...I did pack them, was thinking since I was going to keep the rear end on the shelf for a couple of years, I did not want them to rust, and thought didn't really matter when the Diff oil got on them, as the wheel grease would simply dissolve into the the Diff oil when it did start rolling...that was almost 5 years ago, and 4 other project later!

• Like 1

That's good thinking.  the grease definitely wouldn't hurt anything. and helps prevent leaks.  I know the old greyhound buses  have the rear wheel bearings greased, I just saw a video on it not long ago. so there is reasons for it. maybe the grease has higher load capacity. 

On 4/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, 38rcdodge said:

Thanks for this information. My outter seal is torn and I guess the inner seal in not good either, hence the dif oil leak at the brakes . I pulled out the service manual to see how to replace the inner seal. I have to pull the axle, and the bearing is pressed on. Seems like a bigger job than I originally thought. Anyone on here do this repair that can send me a private message? Thanks!

• Like 1

I've never had the axles or inner seal out, so don't have experience. in the manual I have (for a '37 should be the same) they show a special puller to get the axle/bearing out. there are probably multiple ways to get it out. if your bearing is still good maybe you wouldn't have to take it off the axle. it looks like the bearing and axle come out as one assembly, and the seal is behind it. 

20200422_200038.jpg

• 1 month later...

The inner seal is towards the end of the axel. See 38rcdodge's image in posts above. This was much, much easier than I anticipated. I do have the 1938 Dodge truck service manual...followed those instructions. Have a seal puller and a seal install tool handy. Mine were both homemade. The axel went back in easy, the bearing cone had to be pressed in. The end play on the 1938 RC is 0.003 to 0.008". This is set with shims and held in place by the brake backplate.

I also changed the pinion seal since I had the truck up on blocks.

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, this_is_greg said:

How was the surface on the flange that spins in the seal?

Mine was pitted, and I could not for the life of me figure out were gear oil was leaking out...just so happened, I had parked it in the shop one day were the pits were at the bottom of the rotation...found the oil leak next morning!

I ended up putting a sleeve on it, about .002" thick...makes for a tight seal with the leather seal!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, this_is_greg said:

The inner seal is towards the end of the axel. See 38rcdodge's image in posts above. This was much, much easier than I anticipated. I do have the 1938 Dodge truck service manual...followed those instructions. Have a seal puller and a seal install tool handy. Mine were both homemade. The axel went back in easy, the bearing cone had to be pressed in. The end play on the 1938 RC is 0.003 to 0.008". This is set with shims and held in place by the brake backplate.

Greg

know where i can get or rent these?  I'm thinking about making an axle puller.

7 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

How was the surface on the flange that spins in the seal?

Mine was pitted, and I could not for the life of me figure out were gear oil was leaking out...just so happened, I had parked it in the shop one day were the pits were at the bottom of the rotation...found the oil leak next morning!

I ended up putting a sleeve on it, about .002" thick...makes for a tight seal with the leather seal!

That was in good shape. The seal just wore out. The truck sat for 40+ years. The inner axel seal and pinion started leaking after 200 miles. I suspect more seals will start leaking  as miles are added. 

• Like 1

I looked for a long time for an axel puller, couldn't find one. I modified an slide hammer and gently pulled it out.

I put the axle nut back on with a large washer and used a finger type end with a slide hammer. Take the backing plate off and put an old drum on and hit the drum with a hammer.

2020-06-16 08_36_41-Urrea 4285 $167.95 2- or 3-jaw slide hammer puller _ Zoro.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Easiest axle puller ever. Do this:

Remove hubcap 

Remove axle nut cotter pin

Remove axle nut. Get a long breaker bar!

Jack up car. 

Remove wheel.

Remove drum using HD puller as required

Remove brakes and backing plate

Put drum back on taper loosely.

Re-install axle nut just a few threads.

Drum will slop in and out on the shaft. Use the brake drum as a slide hammer. Push drum inward then snap it back toward you sharply. 2X-3X is all it'll take to pull out the axle. 

Easy-Peasy.

• Like 4