Power Wagon Woodie

NewOldWood

Hello Dave, I have the usual questions. Did you install the roof fabric? What material was used? This turned out to be one really cool woodie. I like the color combination of dark green and black sheet metal with the ash and mahogany. The no nonsense styling of the Power Wagon and the rugged tires. This truck should be used in an advertisement for camping or hunting gear. The craftsmanship of the wood, top, and upholstery are tops.

Thanks Tom. The top material is Haartz Stayfast, and I did not install it as it had to be seamed. I doubt you will see it in an ad, but hunting and fishing are among the owners hobbies, and I've been told that it will be participating in both.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! Keep us informed of your progress. The other one turned out so cool. Do you have experience with car restoration? What about woodworking? Looks like yours was outside long enough to ruin the wood for reuse but it is still good enough to reproduce. I had to assemble rotten splinters to reproduce the wood on my Lasalle. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

@NewOldWood It's complete, but rough.  I plan to restore it, but upgrade the drivetrain. 

@Tom Boehm I've restored a number of cars in the past, but never a woodie. I've got a lot of woodworking experience, but it's mostly in construction.

I'm hoping to get the wood redone by someone who is experienced with woodies.   

I'm located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, do you folks know of any wood restoration folks up this way? 

Edited by Busted49ford (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, Busted49ford said:

I'm located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, do you folks know of any wood restoration folks up this way? 

I wonder if Howard Lengert near Calmar knows of any. 

The Rolls-Royce club there has many members with prewar cars with the wood-frame bodies, with some impeccable restoration results.

Craig

• 4 months later...

New Old Wood.  My number is 269 234 3054.  I would like to talk with you at your first convenience.   I am at a loss for words thinking about your talent.  Working on getting a shaper and custom cutting knives.  I would be indebted with any advice you could offer.  Truly look forwrd to talking.  Other folks with imput please reach out.  Thanks guys.

14 hours ago, 41 woody said:

New Old Wood.  My number is 269 234 3054.  I would like to talk with you at your first convenience.   I am at a loss for words thinking about your talent.  Working on getting a shaper and custom cutting knives.  I would be indebted with any advice you could offer.  Truly look forwrd to talking.  Other folks with imput please reach out.  Thanks guys.

I'm not going to have a spare minute till after Thanksgiving but I'll give you a call when things calm down.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, 41 woody said:

What machine did you use to cut the complex profiles

That's going to depend on which parts you're refering to. At one point or another pretty much every tool in the shop got used. If you're looking at a specific part I could get more detailed.