I think you will find it is a generic automobile item from the time that cars were pop culture icons. The stamped shell style is a lower quality from the manufacturer sales type of fob which appears to be heavier, more detailed, and frequently enameled. One of the most commonly seen shell style has a car, A plane, and a motorcycle on it.

• Like 1

Agree Mark, it's a simple novelty item that's been around a long time.  I think everybody who collects pins, buttons and fobs has one.  I'm still surprised though by some of the listings on evil-bay. 

Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Agree Mark, it's a simple novelty item that's been around a long time.  I think everybody who collects pins, buttons and fobs has one.  I'm still surprised though by some of the listings on evil-bay. 

Terry

Thanks to all for all for chiming in...I thought the fob may be a decorative item. 

The owner won't mind at all as it's treasure he's held onto for six decades.

TG 

• Like 1

I’m glad that the owner will continue to enjoy it, sometimes it’s not the value of something that brings you joy but the story and memories they invoke.

Terry, Had you seen the few model T Ford reproduction fobs on evil-bay that someone thinks are worth in the $250- $300 range? I laugh each time I see them come up again, and he has a lot of fobs.... must have been a collection that was inherited as they are well known by even novices to be fake.

3C865DED-28DB-4D5F-A4AF-9DA8B8ED90F2.jpeg

Yes,  I saw those.  The two with the green background are actually the same fob.  The seller is a "newby" and had some problems when he attempted to lower the price but screwed something up instead and ended up with two listings.  They never got any bids (gee, wonder why) and now they are relisted again.  I think the first one was a case of someone seeing the crazy money on the other two then relisting at a higher price.  That one and two others were listed on ebay with $20 buy it now prices and never got any interest.  One disappeared and the other has been relisted now with a $15 buy it now and still has no interest.  These fobs are just novelty items of course, and there are usually two or more on evil-bay at any given time.  I could never understand how people can list something like that without at least looking at other similar listings.  

Is it worth emailing the guy to try and let him know it's not worth that kind of money?

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)