LAGONDA RAPIER.

Thank you Digger (and Frank)

There are lots of options available for 2022, regardless of which direction we take, there will be a few ups and downs and probably some tricky corners to navigate our, collective and individual paths around.

The main thing now is for us all to look forward to a Healthy and Happy new year. 

On "Motoring", personally I will have to decide in which direction I want to go. 

On one side I can't help wondering if I really need to, be starting another "project" while on the other I have to ask, would I really go "mad" without one? Only time will tell.......

One thing I have decided is that I do not want or need a "truck load of spares" Apart from anything else I simply do not have the space to be storing a pile of someone else's junk!

i.e. I have owned the Lagonda Rapier for somewhere near fifty years and driven it thousand's of miles/kilometers with out a shed full of "spare parts". I do have three "spare" tyres, matching the ones on the car,  and they are simply a "pain in the backside" to store!

Bernie j.

Thank you Dr Data

That is a really nice and original looking TD.

But unfortunately not the same Lemon colour so loved by Citroen owners of their day. The term "Citron Presse" described not only the colour but also the seating arrangement of those early 1920s cars .   i.e. Lemon squeeze!

Bernie j.

Hello All the AACA Forum participants, Another year has just begun and I have very little to report apart from one feble attempt by an unknown scam artist to "sell" me a vintage Peugeot with some photographs that he had obviously had "borrowed" from some unknown web site.

These people really need to brush up on their vocabulary. The same key words and phrases just keep on poping up. 

I can only suppose that it saves them having to think too much about what they write.

Things such as their having "the item" that I may have been interested in. Once you have seen one you may as well have seen them all.

Bernie j.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dr Data

I was not attempting to steal your "thunder" I am sure that you get hours of fun driving and maintaining your MG TD, we do not  get to see many here "Down-under". The lack of wire sp[oke wheels and "centerlock" hub caps put most of the MG people off them. The TF was introduced in an attempt to regain that share of the Market but for many Australian Enthusiasts the damage had been done. The resulting (wire wheel equipped) "A"s and "B"s helped to regain the faith of the dedicated MG enthusiasts but by then the whole "Sports Car" Market was changing.  Many decided to go back in time which helps to explain the number of TAs and TCs you see at MG Events but even those are disappearing into "Collections" never to be seen on the road again.

1933892845_7395F97D-97B3-4B5D-B18450.jpg.401e220244bc415056785275b4cfd2bb.jpg

Not an MG at all, but my 1934 Lagonda Rapier. We only hope that international travel is not too long in comming back. 

The car is two years older than I am but I just hope that we can still make one more trip to the UK, France and some of the rest of Europe. IF we can manage that we will be able to die happy.  The Rapier will go on but will it find a new owner who actually wants to drive it?

With nothing better to do, I actually took the spare wheel off (the back of the car) and washed it inside and out.  How desperate can you get?DSCN7531.jpg.5f32ab89a1ed1369b5a12362861ee2c5.jpg

Bernie J.

For the benefit of anyone critical of the condition of the car's "number plate", It is prohibited to retouch or repaint them under our rather strange laws relating to Car registration.  The CH prefix relates to our (Limited use) Classic and Historic registration.

The cars original (English) Registration was KG 5363. From this the car was christened "King George" a very long time ago.   Even now, knowledgeable people know it as "KG".

image.png.f57a0cca294aa70aebb38253f7b882e8.png

Bernie J.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)

To all the recent converts, the photograph (below) was taken just a little while ago.*

This MORRIS "Eight" (horsepower) was my very first attempt at building a "Special". This was used for two or three years as my "everyday transport"........... around 1954-6. 

Sorry; I have no idea what became of it ?

Bj.

1241785423_Mowog-1.jpeg.2a2fd760cccb1ae1be60e91a068b2865.jpeg

* Further to the above, I should clarify, when I wrote, "a little while ago" I was being factious, of course that photograph was taken when I was around 20 years old, i.e. 65 years ago. I still have a "soft spot" for those little Morris cars but would have to think very hard before I would buy another one today. 

Our Lagonda Rapier has spoilt any desire, that I may have once had, to do so! This is unlikely to change.

As an aside, how many of you have or can read the "small print" (underneath the words "Super Comfort Michelin" on the Lagonda's spare tyre in the photograph posted yesterday ? Your comments would be appreciated.

Bernie J.

With a 14" laptop screen and viewing form the forum you only get to see the forest, individual trees take a little bit of work and a  good quality image copied and pasted into paint can be enlarged to read 4.50 / 500 x 17,  Super Comfort Michelin, maximum pressure 201??

• 4 weeks later...

There Is always "something" to do, some times imagined problems occur. 

I have just spent two days removing the starter motor, this involves first removing the exhaust system. Held in the vice on my work-bench the starter tested OK so I am now busy putting it back.  The photograph below shows the starter motor tucked in behind the exhaust system.  DSCN7568.jpg.f07b383ec26465cd25154b6f157d5730.jpg

The Rapier's twin overhead cam, twin carb motor fits very snugly under the bonnet (hood). Also hidden away from the camera there is an electric cooling fan mounted directly onto the rear of the radiator. Again tucked in, infront of the starter motor is the screw on, full flow, oil filter. the high volume, high pressure oil pump can be just seen on the front of the cylinder head where it is driven off the front of the timing gears. Also hidden away is an electric cooling fan mounted on the rear of the radiator. The "thermo switch can be seen in this photograph. I really should do something about the leak but it is not really as bad as would appear from this photograph also the rust in the water is again not really as bad as it would appear. Spark plugs are hidden away in the "valley" between the two cam boxes.  The distributor can just be seen in-between the two carburettors. This is driven from the rear of the gear driven generator.

Everything is very compact, very efficient and very accessible. There are no pulley & belt drives! 

Unlike many of the AACA Members cars, this is not a show car but one for serious motoring. As I am sure I have said elsewhere we have owned the Lagonda Rapier since the 1970s and have driven over 100,000 miles in it. This includes several visits to both the UK and Europe.

Bj.

DSCN7569.jpg.609b2cc8bc1a5a051638f7fb452fb87b.jpgDSCN7570.jpg.f92ef4186511c10cf41c0ffc0952f4c2.jpg

And now a different view of my Lagonda. The second photo shows a close up of the gear-change with the front carpet removed. The first photograph shows the dash-board with instruments. These are from left to right, speedo with total and trip milages, amp meter and combined ignition (key) and lights switch, fuel level and 8 day clock. Directly In front of driver is the rev counter, further to right, (combined) oil pressure and water temperature. Further to the right, turn indicator switch with "tell-tale light in centre of switch. 

Finally, the small switches for Dash-board illumination and back-up petrol pump.

The gear lever works through a straight line! Fully forward with "lock out tab", reverse. Then as you pull the lever back, Neutral, First gear, second, third and fully back top gear. This "Pre-selects the next require gear. The gear is not actually engaged until you press in and release the gear-change pedal. People unfamiliar with Preselector gear changes frequently confuse this with a "Clutch". My Rapier does not have a clutch!

Regarding the wood used for the dash-board. This is a now rare "cabinet timber" much prized for constructing "Executive Office Furniture".  The Rapiers Dash-board is unusual as it is made from "Solid timber". Most Black Bean used for furniture construction today is merely a thin veneer glued to "particle board". All this only makes my car more unique and desirable!

Seats are upholstered with high quality, furniture grade, "English" hide. These individual "bucket" seats have a full range of adjustment, back and forward.  These give excellent support and enable the driver to cover long distances without tiring.

Both the dash-board and the seats add to the unique nature of this car and add to it value.

Bernie J.

DSCN7579.JPG

DSCN7575.jpg

I have no problem with claiming that KG is without d0ubt one of the best Lagonda Rapiers in Australia if not the world!

• Like 1

Further to the discussion re KG's simplified  hood bows and attachment.DSCN7589.jpg.c07c10d24139793c24d4b8724b232166.jpg  Firstly the actual hoow bows and storing them when not in use. The two ends of the hood "frame" simply  rest against the floor while the top-centre of the main bow is held in a simple spting-clip attached to the rear of the interior trim.

DSCN7590.jpg.30840d5dfa847bf4d4bd96e41e31ee32.jpg

In the  "erected" position the ends of this bow slot into the two (chrome)  fittings on either side of the"space" behind the front seats.

Without doubt this is one of the lightest as most easily erected hood frames.  The actual colth hood then is simply pulled over the frame and clipped into position using the "Lift the dot" clips, the "posts screwed into the top edge of the body

DSCN7594.jpg.a2810bfbba3d2858cbf5631c414539dd.jpgDSCN7595.jpg.5edf1091f64705795af6c1afffa3257a.jpg

thumb_DSCN7593_1024.jpg

DSCN7592.jpg

A place for everything & everything in its place!

DSCN7416.jpg.7430bc13b09e5bbfa3c5b2c6f722d0e2.jpgDSCN7413.jpg.7dba9e0fae02d1d61761e9263f7465fa.jpgTucked in behind the seats yet within easy reach, the lid of the "battery box" is upholstered with the same green hide,  to double as an emergency seat for a "small person". The fire extringuisher is cliped to the floor within easy reach, behind the drivers seat,

the extra large (golf) umbrella is a momento from an earlier visit to the UK for a VSCC Jubilee Rally!

Finally You get to see rhe "original" (Salt and Pepper) hood (Top).
Salt & Peper was one of the traditional fabrics used as the outer layer of a three ply material.

Some years ago I used my experience in the textile (Furnishing fabrics) industry to have a batch of this material manufactured. It has a black and a white strand twisted together as the warp and a grey thread as the weft resulting in the afore mentioned Salt & Pepper appearance. Partially due to the fact that the hood spends most of the time carefully stowed in the rear of the car undoubtedly has added to its now long life. It is the only hood (top) that the car has had since I first restored it in the late 1960's. I have now replaced the tonneau cover which was made at the same time as the hood (top). This is/was exposed virtually 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, etc etc, the car spending it's days (& nights) in our open carport for much of its life. My garage doubling as my workshop!

Also seen in the above photograph is one of my, recycled, ladies (black) leather "hand-bags". I have described the virtues of these (hand-bags) numerous times previously, so there should be no need for me to extol their qualities as a tool bag again! also seen in the  same photo

Bj.

I had previously made some mention to the shade of green used to paint the "Diaphram" of the Lucas "Altette " horn mounted on the front (between the headlamps) of the Rapier. I was unhappy with as it was actually a much brighter green that that used on other parts of the car. No sooner had I decided that it had to go than the offending disk had been removed from the front of the car, the green paint completely removed and a fresh coat of "Wrinkle finish black" has been applied. This only takes a few minutes to reach the "touch dry" state and the diaphram could be replaced on the front of the horn.

I can now report that this change has been "well worth while"  as is shown by the photograph taken only minutes ago.

I believe that it more than justifies the few minutes it has taken to effect the change!  See below.

After week or two, the casual observer will not know that it has not always been this way!  
It has only taken about forty or fifty years for me to effect this change.

We must not rush into these important decisions!

DSCN7597.jpg.e3c19589adcccb6d0a6468a77d96ca0d.jpgDSCN7598.jpg.8ee1b8e837ef25ca86301c6dea0ebfa7.jpg

The one problem with this close up photography is that it really shows that "poor old KG" is really starting to show her miles, although it really is impossible to say exactly how many. Going back to the subject being discussed, I am quite glad that I decided to make this small change.  Having said that I am not about to start a "major restoration" of this horn. Perhaps a little more of a tidy-up! After all the car is two years older than I am and I am starting to show a few cracks too.

Another reason to keep our partnership going.  I am a great believer in the old saying "If you don't like what you are seeing; 

look the other way!"

Bj.

Thank you both Frank & Digger, I really appreciate your help in keeping the story rolling along. Compared with an original Lagonda design hood my own arrangement is so much simpler and easy to erect. I have used  something similar on a number of cars in the ancient past. The only thing that I avoid doing, is folding up a wet hood.  With just an "aero-screen" the previous owner had none of these problems. If it rained she would have just driven faster to avoid getting wet. Either that or pulled into the pits to change drivers. Either way Beatrice Shilling would be hard pressed to recognise her old car.

Bj.777048981_BeatriceShillingKG..jpeg.38f3157199d01e6fb07edf4094af6237.jpeg

Bj

1913252600_Lagonda3LitreSpecial.jpeg.3a5476b6ca1e76bd8d081b8da11dcdcd.jpeg

The 3.5 Litre SS-Jaguar special would have come second but we had very few regrets when we left it with its new owner in Switzerland. He has owned it for a long time now.

The one thing that practically no-one realises is, that being based on 1.5 litre SS/Jaguar pieces, this car is considerably lighter than its 2.5 & 3.5 Litre counterparts

Bj

While clearing out some unwanted rubbish, I have uncovered a box containing eight valves complete with springs and retaining caps and collets. These are to suit a mid teens Humber 4 cylinder 14 hp if my memory serves me right.

They are of no use to me so anyone who arranges for them to be collected from my home in East Doncaster Victoria Australia is welcome to have them.

Bernie Jacobson

N.B. It is a very long time since I owned an early Humber.

DSCN7607.jpg.905f4958223096ecf6eac8e387bc12ef.jpg

Bernie,

I continue to enjoy reading your adventures with the Lagonda.  I especially liked the picture of its older incarnation...a very interesting exhaust system.  Unfortunately, I know of no one with a Humber 4 cyl. 14 hp engine.  Put them back in the back of your shed and leave it to amaze whomever has to deal with your estate many years from now.

Thank you Dr Data

I will probably follow your advice it seems as though you cannot even give stuff like this today, even more so if you say that the recipient has to collect it.

"Oh, if you are giving it away why can't you deliver it to me?"   Seems to be the usual reply!

Bj.

Suddenly I am feeling quite tired. I have no interest in starting another "project".  In some ways I would be quite happy to walk away and leave the Lagonda in the garage. 

There must be something wrong with me. Every time I open my mouth to speak, someone takes offence at what I say,  even before I say anything?

Bj.

You could be right but it will be two or three weeks before the next opportunity comes along. Before then I need to give the car a grease and check the adjustment of the brakes, all routine maintenance. At least it gives me something to do and gets me out into the garage for a day or two.

Bj

• Like 1

Thank you Frank for your support, right now I need all the friends that I can find.  I even found myself thinking that I should "Just sell the Rapier and be done with it" .

It seems an "age" since I helped to put "EVER KEEN" together. I still have about half a dozen unsold copies in a box under my desk.

Bj

993119925_Lagonda3LitreSpecial.jpeg.765a2b79dbfcf69d66a5e5e6682a4a55.jpeg

What it is all about.......

It has been said "that no two cars are exactly the same!

2046787454_Lagonda3LitreSpecial1.jpeg.5fa1500c0a6175486289df727082e19a.jpeg

Of the six cars seen here parked outside our home, no two are the same. Number 34 almost hidden from view is a single seat racing car and nearest to the camera is my own car "KG" in the early stages of its "rebuild" from the "Beatrice Shilling Special" to become an "Eagle two seater (replica)".  The new, replica body was one of a batch of 12 built in England as a project organised by a group of Rapier Register members.

The car third from the left is the car featured on the front cover of the book "EVER KEEN".1091241774_Lagonda3LitreSpecial3.jpeg.bbf8f5038be67e0c4bcd8dc896e1d808.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 4:14 PM, Rapier said:

Thank you Dr Data

I will probably follow your advice it seems as though you cannot even give stuff like this today, even more so if you say that the recipient has to collect it.

"Oh, if you are giving it away why can't you deliver it to me?"   Seems to be the usual reply!

Bj.

Except for the compressor clutch (which got used for a convenient repair), I had a complete under dash a auto air conditioning system in the original box's that I offered free to everyone I thought could use it, if they would come and get it or pay for shipping. Twenty years it had set in my old shed, didn't want to move it to the new shed and before I chucked it in the recycle bin, I advertised it on the local craigslist. It sold the same day and the next day and the buyer drove 110 miles to pick it up and put cash in my hands.   

Thank you Digger

Unfortunately I do not think that "Craigslist " reaches as far away as to Australia.  That and I do not think that anyone would want to pay the amount of money that would persuade me to sell my Lagonda. My family will just have to work out something between them after I have gone! (died).  
I would like to think that we may have one last trip to the UK and France before then.

• Like 1

The only thing is that I doubt that there are many people trading this that could afford to

1. Pay the price I would ask

and

2. Would be able to maintain it.

This  first photograph shows the car as it was when we first bought it.

1755239305_KG1977.jpeg.f76f1348ab4a624c58471d01c55e8143.jpeg

Now some years latter........DSCN7468.jpg.8876ee032fc1fb03d5a46cf24069ddaf.jpg

Bj.

• Like 1