LAGONDA RAPIER.

Bernie,

2x on congrats.  

I think a new thread might be in order, either under British Cars or Restoration Projects...your choice.  Oh, and see if you can get the recipe for those scones!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not only that but this Singer is now sold and waiting  to be collected. Meanwhile I have actually been giving our trusty Lagonda Rapier a mini "Birthday" cleaning out the fuel filters and actually replacing the "Throw away" filter on the main petrol line. This was well and truly ready for replacement. Perhaps this was the cause of the fuel problem we experienced when we last had the car out, Then again, having spent two or three days going over the car, I really cannot help wondering why I am constantly looking for something else?  It is such a pleasure to work on and so rewarding to drive!

There in total five filters incorporated is the system. Two inline filters at the rear of the car in the two pipes coming from the tank, another built into the SU petrol pump, and finally two more one in each of the carburettors where the fuel feed attaches to the float bowls. Normally it will be one or the other of the filters included in the pipe lines from the petrol tank  that catches any impurities. Certainly the filter I have just replaced had been doing its job. I simply cannot remember when it was last replaced but it contained enough debris to have been causing a problem. This only goes to confirm the need to have functioning fuel filters AND to look at them from time to time.

Looking at todays photograph tends to confirm the observation made by one of my friends. There is no waste space under the Rapiers "Bonnet" or if you prefer "Hood".

The four branch exhaust system takes up any spare space on the other side of the engine. Observant people will have noted that the air filter on the front "carb"nhas been trimmed so that it will fit in with the Bonnet/hood closed.

Bj.

DSCN7256.jpg.b4e6bd549a58a008002e7c3deb45b4a6.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now with the decks finally (almost ) clear I should very soon be able to return the Lagonda to the garage.   This will permit me to put the long suffering Peugeot under the carport and out of the weather.

We, here in Australia, are heading into Winter, so it really does need to be under cover.

I have to be very tough on myself and resist all temptation to be buying another project car. I just have to realise that at my age (almost 85) I do not need to be attempting to rescue other people's piles of junk.   The Lagonda Rapier is a "super" car but even looking at the photograph above I can see one or two items that require attention.

I am sure a morning spent checking it over would reveal some more. For instance it must be several years since I last checked the valve (tappet) clearances. There is a package of new "clearance shims" that is sitting in the door pocket.  I ordered and received these from the Rapioer Register "Spares",  two or three years ago. To check the valve clearances properly could easily fill in two or three mornings.  My first task will be to find where I carefully stowed my set of "feeler gauges".

Oh Dear! it really is a bugger to be growing old!   I am told that this situation is only temporary.  BUT we will not venture down that path! 

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Bernie,

Relax and enjoy some R & R.  Lavish some attention on your wonderful Lagonda.  I don't see you restoring a saloon car, anyway.  You always seem to be more of the roadster type.

While you head into winter, we head into a long, dry summer with drought and wildfires.

Cheers!

Currently we are again in a Co-vid Lockdown so apart from e-mails and phone calls I am more or less isolated. I have made one phone call re a 1922 Citroen, a 10hp, one model Citroen I have not owned before. As the current owner/vendor does not"do emails" I am waiting to recieve his mailed photographs. As it is already "fully restored" it is outside my usual criteria for a possible purchase. I have made a tentative offer about $10,000 under the asking price, so I will not be surprised if it goes to some one with deeper pockets than mine. As it is a Citroen, a French car, I should not even be mentioned out here!

Bj.

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile I continue to be distracted by other lesser cars, the Citroen mentioned above has not passed the vital test and so languishes in it's owners garage.  Meanwhile I have been distracted again, this time by a 1940s Lea Francis. At least this one passes all the suitability tests. First it is very British and while not being a twin over head cam motor it comes close in that it has twin hight cams with very short push-rods. Very similar to a Riley. This is not by chance the Rileys designer then went on to be enployed by Lea Francis, so no doubt, he at the very least, took a mental picture of the Riley's engine with him. This will require a total restoration so there will be more than enough for a "thread" of its own

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)