LAGONDA RAPIER.

Bernie, I follow your postings because I enjoy them, sometimes I'm inspired by what you do and truly appreciate them.

I had two really great, Great Aunts, one from Tasmania, the other from New Zealand and when that family visited it was an event.  I have a life size picture of a Kuala  hanging on my office wall and sometimes I just like looking at the pictures and remembering.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rapier said:

Perhaps it is time for you to reverse the trend and for you to come and visit us.

You would find us very welcoming.

Bj.

The time to do that was 40 years ago when the people who said come and visit were still alive, but time and money were against me. Today I have time and money, but without the extended family to introduce me to the extended family of my generation,  I'd be a stranger knocking on doors. My brother gave that a try, when he was stationed in Japan. He took a hop to Sydney and started looking up old addresses. He didn't find any family, but he did find a nice pub.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:32 AM, Rapier said:

Sitting here at my computer I have just had a sudden thought. I wonder how many of the people reading this really appreciate anything that I write here.

I doubt very much that there is even one person anywhere in the world that could honestly say that actually understand what my life is!

For a start I was born in November 1936. I had one sister six years older and one brother three years older then much later another brother born after the finish of ww2.

My sister and my elder brother have both "passed" some time ago. I do not know when I last spoke to my younger brother, this despite the fact that he lives less than 10 kms away. We do not even exchange emails.

this happens more than people think and usually about banal things.

people forget that life is short and family is important.

Bernie,

I understand your ennui totally.  For the  past ten years, I have been writing family histories of the main branches of my family as well as building a family tree. Nothing startling and no major historical figures, just how three different Irish (and one Alsatian) families came to the US in the nineteenth century and made their way in America (most of them owned taverns). I do it for my own pleasure, knowing that the children of my niece and nephew will not give a whit about these family roots.

However, through this work, I have met some relatives that I never knew existed and built new friendships. 

I have followed your “project”  posts for about a dozen years and find them interesting and informative. Also nice to know that there are others out there, like me, who are somewhat mystified by automotive electronics. 

Keep posting about your Lagonda adventures and your new/old Morris project. 

The Lagonda simply goes on and is almost self supporting.

I did last night have a mystery call form a gentleman who said that he was calling from the US of A, wanting to buy a Lagonda Rapier. I very politely told him that my car was not for sale and suggested he look at the UK Rapier Register web-site.

As "KG is definitely not for sale, I will have sit down some time soon, some where and work out a plan to bring it back to"top" condition for the comming years activities.

First thing for the new year is a visit too our friend, "Jimmy's" panel shop to bring the car's appearance back to where it should be. That and giving it a complete "oil-change" and service.   

I will also need to work our  plan of attack for the Morris. It too needs to be brought to "top" condition. Then some idea of what it's future is to be, worked out.

Bj.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rapier said:

Now something different. a simple test of your "old car knowledge?"image.jpeg.f2113b8609fb907d66059d55da1e9477.jpegSimply make list of everything that you can recognise. Remember, every single item that you see has my personal "finger prints" on it.

I have a laptop in a docking station so I do have a larger display, but not as big as your engine compartment so I'm guess that the brass colored bolt behind the forward dash pot brass colored nut is the tap for the oil pressure gauge. Not guessing at the fuel shut off valve, just remembering when those things were made to last and wondering if your electric fan was factory?

Hello Digger.

Last first, NO the electric fan is not original, as Rapiers left the factory and being made for "English" conditions a fan was not required. The brass "tap" is in fact "original and its purpose is to direct which of the two petrol supply pipes is selected to deliver the fuel to the pump. One being the "main" supply, the other the "reserve". In actual fact both pipes draw petrol from the main tank. One going to the "bottom" of the tank the other stopping three or four inches "up". This acts as a "reminder" to the driver to refuel the car before it runs out of petrol. The trick is to remember to switch it back to the "main" supply when you refuel. You were very observant to notice the take-off pipe for the supply to the oil pressure gauge. Oil is delivered at "full pressure" to the over head camshaft bearings.  All this makes the "under-bonnet" space appear to be a "bit crowded but everything does have a job to do. The "non-original" air filters require the rear one be "trimmed" to fit over the top of the steering box.

The "Exhaust" side of the engine is not quite so crowded.

The "non-original" oil pump, driven from the front of the timing chain "triple sprocket' on the front of the cylinder head adds to this.DSCN8202.jpg.12de98d1adb5b3c823ffccd2540f2b6b.jpg

• Like 1

And here we are at the start of another year, Hopefully the New Year will bring all the people who look in here from time to time all the good things that they may desire.

Happy and trouble free motoring to all those who continue to use their "proper" cars.

Good health and happiness to everyone.

Bernie j.

• Like 2

We plan to go to the VSCC New Years Day "Event" at the little known Central Victorian "town" of Muckleford. This annual event is always well supported by members.

For a long time we were unable to attend as we had a prior commitment to go to my now deceased sister's place a Point Lonsdale.

Well Ben!

For someone living on the other side of the world you certainly know your way around some of the less travelled parts of Victoria, Australia. Many of the locals would not know where to find Muckleford.  I expect to see a LHD "classic Buick" driving up Glendora Lane any time soon.  You would be just in time for the start of Summer.

Bernie j.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having been to Muckleford again our meeting place was at the old school. When I say "old" I do so advisedly. It is one of the oldest school (buildings) in the state of Victoria, where I have spent virtually all my life. Not me but the (one room) Muckleford School is more than 150 years old. This is no longer a school but the hand made brick building still survives and is used for "Public Meetings" etc. We, the VSCC Members, use it to eat our picnic lunches in. Our cars are parked in no particular order in the "School yard". Perhaps as a indication of our advancing age, we used the VW Jetta as our transport there and back again.  For people unfamiliar with the Jetta, it is a four door sedan with a Two litre Diesel engine driving through a six speed manual transmission to the front wheels. We bought it new in 2006.

On 12/30/2023 at 4:34 AM, Rapier said:

Well Ben!

For someone living on the other side of the world you certainly know your way around some of the less travelled parts of Victoria, Australia. Many of the locals would not know where to find Muckleford.  I expect to see a LHD "classic Buick" driving up Glendora Lane any time soon.  You would be just in time for the start of Summer.

Bernie j.

If I could I surely would.     

Google maps is  great.

Ben

Unfortunately Google Maps have still not come up with a way of expressing the ambience of a place. As you can probably imagine having heard the name "Muckleford" just what the ambience of a place historically known as "Muckle-ford" would be. It could be said that it is slowly sliding backwards ever deeper into the "Muckle". That of course is totally wrong!

You can tell by simply looking at the attached photo that the entire neighbourhood is a lively and bustling place.  The locals are so busy that they simply have not had sufficient time to attach any cables to the "Pole" They are still trying to decide if they are to be "telephone" or perhaps "power-poles". Oops, there again, perhaps that should be a singular "pole". A convenient place for the local dog(s) to rest one back leg.   

Bj.

image.jpeg.6fdfd96fdc9bafc444ffca7371c92542.jpeg

• Haha 2

The other difference is in the names,  Kooweerup is an Anglicised version of a native Aboriginal Name while "Muckleford" is from an "old English Name This probably derived from a description of a muddy or "Mucky" river crossing as described by early English settlers or "pioneers".  Often these, early settlers were seeking aluvial  gold that was to be found mixed in with sand or mud (muckle) along the edge of small streams in this, the Bendigo and Castlemaine area. 

• Thanks 1

Gold tended to be found in two forms, The afore mentioned alluvial gold found in minute "dust" along the banks of creeks and smaller rivers and in nuggets or lumps usually recovered by underground mining.

• Like 1

Back to the real world, I have just spoken with Brian (jimmy) my friendly panel man.

He has confirmed that he should be able to start work on the repairs to the Lagonda Rapier's rear mudguard(s) in a 'week or so". As soon as he gets the OK from the insurance company.

• Like 2

That is a very good question, hopefully sooner than later.

We are planing a visit to the UK a little later this year and hopefully it can be sold to help pay for my share of the costs. To do this it should really be running and drivable!   First I need to have it at home.

Bj.

• Like 1

I am sure that Ben Bruce would have no trouble in following the attached map.

The BBQ/Informal meeting will be held again next  January so he has plenty of time to polish up his Map Reading. The one problem that some people encounter is that the Toilets are all closed and the doors locked at "Sun-set"

Bj.

The Kaynes Bridge mentioned on the map is for pedestrian traffic only!

The majority of members do drive their "proper cars" to this event. This means driving home with your head-lights switched on. It is some time since I had driven thge Rapier at night and I discovered that the "low-beam" on the driver's side lamp was not working. (Something to "look at" today........ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Ben

You would probably appreciate the "works" of Pioneer "Bush" Poet. Banjo Patterson who wrote of letters being written by an early (sheep)"shearer" using a "thumb nail dipped in tar".

• Like 2

Clancy of the Overflow

I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better 
Knowledge, sent to where I met him down the Lachlan, years ago, 
He was shearing when I knew him, so I sent the letter to him, 
Just 'on spec', addressed as follows, 'Clancy, of The Overflow'. 

And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected, 
(And I think the same was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar) 
'Twas his shearing mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quote it: 
'Clancy's gone to Queensland droving, and we don't know where he are.' 

In my wild erratic fancy visions come to me of Clancy 
Gone a-droving 'down the Cooper' where the Western drovers go; 
As the stock are slowly stringing, Clancy rides behind them singing, 
For the drover's life has pleasures that the townsfolk never know. 

And the bush hath friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him 
In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars, 
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, 
And at night the wond'rous glory of the everlasting stars. 

I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy 
Ray of sunlight struggles feebly down between the houses tall, 
And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty, dirty city 
Through the open window floating, spreads its foulness over all. 

And in place of lowing cattle, I can hear the fiendish rattle 
Of the tramways and the buses making hurry down the street, 
And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting, 
Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet. 

And the hurrying people daunt me, and their pallid faces haunt me 
As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste, 
With their eager eyes and greedy, and their stunted forms and weedy, 
For townsfolk have no time to grow, they have no time to waste. 

And I somehow rather fancy that I'd like to change with Clancy, 
Like to take a turn at droving where the seasons come and go, 
While he faced the round eternal of the cash-book and the journal —
But I doubt he'd suit the office, Clancy, of 'The Overflow'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pioneer sheep shearers used a "dab of the tar brush" to stem bleeding from cuts accidentally  inflicted on sheep during "shearing"......

Sheering is the process of removing the wool "Fleece" from sheep!

Bj.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sheep shears are mechanically driven "clippers". A good experienced "shearer" can remove the entire "fleece" in just one or two pieces.

Originally the shearers used hand operated shears. Much of Australian "Folk History" is based on stories about the work of shearers.

Bj.

• Like 3

Oh dear! What has become of all the "other" Rapiers?

Last Friday evening was a pleasant "Picnic Tea and Get Together" to start off the New Year. This is held every year on the Yarra Boulevard within easy driving distance of the city. Nothing"Fomal" just a BBQed sausage and salad along with a BYO Glass of Two of wine. Not too far to drive in your "proper" car and an easy drive home, BUT not a single other Rapier.

Helen & I went in KG, we called in to see some friends on the way home for another "cup of coffee". We were home shortly after midnight with KG safely parked in the garage before we went to bed,

I will not name them BUT!  Where are "all the Rapiers?

Surely IF you own THREE you must have one that is going and drivable ???

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:36 PM, Rapier said:

Pioneer sheep shearers used a "dab of the tar brush" to stem bleeding from cuts accidentally  inflicted on sheep during "shearing"......

Sheering is the process of removing the wool "Fleece" from sheep!

Bj.

I didn't know this.

Hello Digger,

Which part did you not understand?

Bj.

About the origin of the Name "Digger", It goes back to the Australian involvement in Belgium and France in the 1914-18 war.

This was "Trench" warfare which involved a great deal of Infantry (Foot) soldiers digging "trenches" by hand using a "pick & shovel".

Check your History books!

Bj.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rapier said:

Hello Digger,

Which part did you not understand?

Bj.

About the origin of the Name "Digger", It goes back to the Australian involvement in Belgium and France in the 1914-18 war.

This was "Trench" warfare which involved a great deal of Infantry (Foot) soldiers digging "trenches" by hand using a "pick & shovel".

Check your History books!

Bj.

I knew about the WW1 origin, but it's not the only way to earn the Digger name. It's also a name for people in the mortuary service and because I know the secret of the shovel, a bad shoulder doesn't stop me from digging with a shovel, but swinging a pick hurts.

I didn't know about the tar brush. My grandpa had a small farm and when I was little he had a small flock of sheep. Every year a man come to do the sheering and I was too small to be in the shed, so I could almost see the big wooly's flipped off their feet and a minute later they were clean.