'65 - Relocating seats for more leg room

65VerdeGS

In a recent post about carpet replacement, Brian (71GS) said:

The carpet I removed was cut exactly like yours so I assume that’s correct. I requested Clark’s not to cut mine as I relocated the front seats back 3”. I'm 6’4” and needed the extra room. Big improvement for me. 

Brian - if you see this post, how did you relocate your seats to gain more legroom?  My Riv is a '65, with 4-way power driver's seat and manually adjustable passenger seat.  If it matters, mine has the deluxe interior.

I'm only 6 foot tall, so the driver's seat can stay as-is for me.  However, it sure would be nice to afford the passenger a bit more legroom.  The passenger seat won't go back quite as far as the driver's seat will.  Not sure if that's the way they were made. 

So, what did you to to obtain more travel for the passenger seat to go back further?  

Thanks,

• Like 1

Hey Alex, I relocated the track mounting holes rearward 3”.  Had to fabricate a small extension at the inside rear mount hole location (by the console). The floor falls down and away at that point. This was welded to the floor and has a nut welded inside the channel material. Basically, extending the flat area of the floor where I needed it. 

I threw the drivers seat in there before they were disassembled and the improvement was huge for me.

The thread Kongaman listed  has a good idea too. 

That said,  I’d pull and check out your passenger seat track first. We have the same interior and when mine was all the way back it seemed like they matched. Maybe your track isn’t going to the last stop for some reason.   Hope this helps

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the info on how you tacked this problem!

Good idea to check my passenger seat track to see if something might have fallen into the track to stop the seat from going back as far as it can. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the info on how you tacked this problem!

Good idea to check my passenger seat track to see if something might have fallen into the track to stop the seat from going back as far as it can. 

Cheers,

Yeah I would. I’m sure mine were even side to side. Good luck

Hey, what about mounting the front U-Brackets backwards and drilling out that 2nd hole in the rear feet for the 3/8" mounting bolt? It only moves the seat back 1", but I'm short of 6'. and the shortest in my circle.

It almost appears the the design was on purpose to do this. The passenger seat, not quite. The inboard track rear foot has only 1-hole in the centre with no possibility to drill another hole 1" forward.

In the original location, the seat adjusts too far forward (in your opinion)?

Careful with the Driver's seat inboard track. It falls out easily and those itty bitty delrin slides fall off gone for ever in the gravel.

Can't stop tweaking!

John B.

• Like 1