Interesting find

bloodowl89

So a while back I was talking about some vehicles on a piece of property that belonged to my late grandpa, including a 1963 Chevy C10 Fleetside, and a 1972 Dodge Dart Custom. Well I was looking around on the property and found a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I may have mentioned this before,and didn't go back and review to confirm that or not. I checked the glovebox and found something interesting. My late grandpa and grandma were the second owners of the vehicle. It was purchased originally in Tarpon Springs, FL with only 15 miles on it. A 1976 4 dr. Chevelle was traded in for trade in credit which bough about half the Oldsmobile at that time. There are all kinds of of brochures and manuals included with it that came with the original sale of the car, even the receipts, and service records for it. It also came with the 350 LM1 engine. The Certificate of Title, and documentation of the lawsuits taking place because the motors were produced in the GM plant, operated by Chevrolet Motor Division. I guess none of this is some blown mind kind of thing but to have all of this original documentation, letters between the original owner and Oldsmobile, and then some was just a really cool thing to find. It makes me want to restore the car if I can as a labor of love to keep memory and history alive and kicking in a visual way. The Delta 88 was a Buckskin interior and exterior. What do you guys think?

You have certainly found a time capsule in the Oldsmobile, and a bit of family history to boot.  My take from your post is that you would like opinions from forum participants on whether or not the car is worthy of some sort of preservation effort$.  Either a description of the Oldsmobile's condition or a few photos (saving thousands of words) would be of great help.  Where is it located?

Good luck.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

A '77 Delta 88 is a nice looking car. In a few years it will be half a century old. It sounds like you don't have to buy the car, so your initial investment is zero. With all that history and documantation connected to the car I would certainly do it and have a very nice daily driver.

506fffd2572910da5a4f7a10fb2b0fac.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

8 hours ago, bloodowl89 said:

Well I was looking around on the property and found a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I may have mentioned this before,and didn't go back and review to confirm that or not. I checked the glovebox and found something interesting. My late grandpa and grandma were the second owners of the vehicle. It was purchased originally in Tarpon Springs, FL with only 15 miles on it. A 1976 4 dr. Chevelle was traded in for trade in credit which bough about half the Oldsmobile at that time.

Bloodowl......

Tarpon Springs is just northwest of Tampa. Was this car sold at Ferman Oldsmobile? Ferman is a long running dealer chain based in Tampa. They have been in business over 100 years. 

Kevin

On 4/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, kevin1221 said:

Bloodowl......

Tarpon Springs is just northwest of Tampa. Was this car sold at Ferman Oldsmobile? Ferman is a long running dealer chain based in Tampa. They have been in business over 100 years. 

Kevin

Kinda messed up the quote. I was on my phone typing this out, but no. The car was sold at Tarpon Springs Chevrolet in 1977. The car was bought by a man born in 1907 and it originally had 15 miles on it. I have yet to get any other pics of it other than what I have. My grandpa's second wife stored some stuff in it and the car has been there for no telling how long.

Edited by bloodowl89 (see edit history)