for sale, nash love story

not mine but a good read.

1951 Nash Statesman Super Model 5149 Two Door Sedan LOVE STORY - $5750 (Kirkland)

< image 1 of 2 >

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Finn Hill

(google map)

1951 Nash Statestman Super

VIN: MODEL5149
cylinders: 6 cylinders
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: sedan

QR Code Link to This Post

So where do I start? For what it’s worth, this is not so much an ad to sell a cool 1951 Nash Statesman Super Model 5149 Two Door Sedan, as it is a love story, with a bitter ending. A love story for car nuts, like you and I.

Before I begin, please be aware that this story, as all good car stories do involves sex, money, alcohol, questionable judgment and of course a sweet ride.

Now everyone knows that a really good story, even a car related one should have some interesting characters in it, mainly a striking young man, a beautiful sexy object of desire, and a hero, or someone who saves the day.

However in this (cheaply written) short story, our young man, let’s call him Mark (as that’s his real name) is neither striking or young for that matter and our object of desire is of course not a sexy woman but a Nash Statesman Super. And the hero you ask, someone who can save the day, well that could be you.

The story began many, many years ago, when Mark (much younger and prettier then) found and quickly fell in love with the Statesman Super. The first time he laid eyes on her, he knew right then and there that he wanted her.

Mark had big dreams for the Nash when they first “hooked up”, but he was blind to the dark sky’s which loomed in the horizon years later, as for he and the cool car would soon become distant lovers, kinda like an old married couple, or my current marriage. The love affair they once had was now waning at best. Why do you ask? He was blind? They're no longer in love? What in the hell are you taking about? Who would leave a hottie like that? Well keep reading...

Now maybe it’s the fact that old Mark is a bit of a “drinker”. Or maybe it’s the fact that he has a hot Russian girlfriend (lucky bastard). Or maybe he’s fell in with the wrong crowd? Could he be on drugs you say? Possibly? Could he have found a new interest/hobby where he can piss away thousands of dollars in a matter of minutes? Hmmmm maybe?

Whatever it is, he’s totally lost sight of what a totally cool rig the Nash is and how he was so much in love with her years ago. It’s a gawd dang shame. He’s gonna leave her and he’s gonna break her heart. And you know what? He doesn’t care. So much for endless love. Always and forever my ass!

I can’t tell you why he wants her gone, I can only tell you that he has made some seriously questionable decisions in the past and this is not the first girl’s heart he’s broken. I honestly don't get it! Maybe the dude has some yet to be diagnosed mental issues. Hell I don’t know! I’ve got my own freaking issues, but hey, at least the pills and therapy is kinda working and my right eye doesn’t blink uncontrollably any more. But hey I digress...

Anyway.... This is where the hero of the story comes in and saves the women, er, car. That's you. Yeah you, I’m talking to you! If your a decent guy, I’d like to introduce you to the Nash. She’s a little broken at moment but she’s got a awesome heart. She needs a few hugs to get over Mark but I bet if your a handy guy, she’ll be purring in your ear quickly and loving you like no other woman could.

So if you don’t mind picking up the pieces of a broken relationship, you could be in for many years of bliss together. Think about it? Hell, at our age we don’t get many chances to start something new, especially with someone as unique as the Nash. Just think about it? In a matter of days you both could be out cruising on the town together, loving life and living the dream. And isn't that what it's all about?

So if you read this far, thanks. And if you want to know more about her, shoot me an email and I'll actually tell you about the car. And maybe if your lucky, I’ll send you a picture of her with her hood open, oh-la-la. So now go pull up you’re pants and send me an email... time's a wasting and none of us are getting any younger.

Key words: Never let your friend write your car ad, hot rod, screaming deal, bring cash, burn rubber, daddy-o, made in the shade, nope not mine, 9 months later, oh crap, license and registration please, blue lights!, when in doubt gas it, wide f’ing open, free love, did that itch ever go away, tie rod, drag link, coil overs, rice, race, clean title, oh baby, that your mom, she’s lying, black eye, smoke em, busted, old age, fat guy, mid life, car, divorce, big hair, no hair, yeah baby, finger licking, flat head, dual exhaust, straight 8, hot wire, 6 volt, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Porsche, BMW, traction bars, limited slip, open diff, bring a trailer, buff out, rebuilt, and in love!. Thanks.
Sent from my iPad.

Edited by Alex D. (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had a green 51 Statesman. You could have a lot of fun in that. The engine is a slightly enlarged version of the "Nash 600" made from the late 30s until 1949. I think it is 151ci. 600 was the number of miles it could go on a tank. 30MPG highway! Yes, really. It had overdrive, and that made it a completely usable car with that tiny motor. I strongly recommend getting one with overdrive. The speed limit was 55 then, but I think you could probably do ok even today.

I drove mine for 2 or 3 years, a lot of it in winter (because I also had a convertible at the time). This was in the late 80s. They were not a "cool" car in the 50s, so didn't get much respect from the hot rod crowd, but anyone who had actually owned one loved it. EVERYBODY had a Nash story. If you drive one of these, someone will walk up to you and tell you a Nash story literally every time you go to the store.

I got it from the original owner, and I thought that was pretty unusual for a car that old. A week later I met a 51 Ambassador owner. He was also the second owner. It turns out that isn't unusual at all. These cars tend to stay in the same family for decades, and once you've had one you will know why. It was a great winter car. It always started easy. It went like a tractor in the snow. It had a "weather eye" heater, with a heater core that looked like the radiator for a small car, and 3 fans. The heater pulled fresh air, and it could still cook you out. That tiny engine? Silent. Nash balanced every one of them. If it was idling you could not hear it run.