1930 Marmon Model 8-79 Sport Phaeton *SOLD*

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, alsancle said:

I'm not surprised.  The car presented very well.   This 1932 Marmon 8-125 is owned by a forum member and he's been trying to get 59k for a while.   Just went through the motor which is the Big Eight.  I'm assuming the colors are killing it.

69055976-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

I had an interest in this car so I did a search and found the ad. It's not a $59,000 car IMO. I've  been waiting for the right 32 or 34/35 Cadillac Cabriolet (preferably a V12) to pop up but I could go for some other make straight 8 Classic like this with a long hood and short deck. I like that sporty look.

Its not the color that is preventing the sale, its the fact that the color is falling off the car. The paint is cracking and pealing off and ironically it looks like it was green underneath. The car must have been flipped by a dealer at some time who believed in the "no sale green" myth and put a quickie paint job on it.  Seller made the mistake of taking realistic photos out in the sunlight instead of filtered, color enhanced photos that would hide the failing paint. I also find it strange that the ad includes a photo of a nicely painted, bear engine on the floor but not of the finished engine in the car. It would take most of the $20,000 difference of Matt's Marmon to strip and paint this car right but it is lacking in other areas as well.

I'm just a hobbyist and generally hold on to cars.  Don't really care about resale values but also don't want to overpay even though I have in the past for "the right car".  On the other hand this would make someone a good car who is in to Marmons at about $40,000.