1953 Plymouth Cranbrook convertible or 54 Belvedere

Julian1v

In another post I mentioned that I am in the process of restoring a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook convertible club coupe, down in Australia.

A lot of good work has been done but one of our last problems is getting the weather seals between the roof and some parts of the body right ( windscreen-top bow and roof to  rear quarter windows particularly ). The old weather seals have crumbled away. We managed to import some seals from the U.S. but not all, and we are looking at having someone fabricate the remaining bits. Our problem is, we don't have any pictures that show the profiles of the seals. Does anyone in the forum own one of these cars, or is able to put me in touch with someone who has one? I think the '54 Belvedere convertible also has the same weatherstripping. We would love to get some pictures of how certain seals look and fit.

seals.jpg

I was actually getting ready to order a new header seal for mine as mine is collapsed so it doesn't seal properly.  It also doesn't look quite right to me anyways.  Steele rubber products offers a seal for my car. Did you try them or Metro Rubber for what you need? 

My windshield is also V'eed 2 piece. 

IMG_5632.JPG

Thanks Auburnseeker. I have tried Steele who said they didn't have the correct seals. ( By the way, I love your Sportabout ).

I know that Metro sell "universal parts". Has anyone used these in their projects? And if so, were they satisfactory?

Thanks for your interest all. Any tips greatly appreciated. I want to get the old girl watertight before the Australian winter. Also, to all of the forum members, stay safe everybody. This virus is really nasty, and  lot of people who restore these beautiful cars are in my age bracket, hence more vulnerable. Then again, out in the garage, surrounded by fuel vapors... maybe that's the safest place. Take care anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...