1947 Chrysler Windsor no reverse

zhair

Hello everyone,,

Just bought a 1947 Chrysler Windsor. Car drove great, but I never thought to try reverse. Fluid drive with standard H-pattern on the column. I was told it was 4 speed transmission and that reverse was near first [up and in] and hard to find. I've worked https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/  hours with no success. All 4 positions go foreward. Little on the internet but what I've seen makes me question seller's honesty. Son of owner who had died. Any one have any knowledge on this????

Edited by zhair (see edit history)

My understanding is the shift linkage may need adjustment. Try putting the gear selector in neutral. Get down and follow the shift linkage to find the flange and adjustment nut. See how sloppy and loose it is. Try making some adjustments and re-test. 

Also have a look at where the shift linkage bolts to the tranny. Does it all seem to be there? Is it sloppy or tight? If all that seems to be good, and linkage parts all present, if it were mine next step would be opening up the tranny. Where the shift linkage enters. See what’s going on behind the cover. Is the shift fork in place? The reverse idler gear is there and look ok? Sliding as it should on it’s shaft? 

These trannys are engineering marvels. Simple but effective. They can seem complicated to the average person. They indeed are not. A little time inside these, builds confidence and understanding. If you have a shop or other space, some tooling, the desire, and patience, I recommend getting at it. If not, ask around for someone who can accomplish the tasks I mentioned. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

They use a standard 3 speed H pattern with reverse toward you and up. Except there is no low gear just reverse Low range (2nd gear position) and High range (3d gear position). There have been MANY discussions of the proper care and driving of these transmissions that can be found in the Chrysler section. They are a good, simple reliable transmission but do require their own driving technique. Not hard to learn but you do need to learn it.  If you want further details there were a couple of long detailed threads back in 2008.

As for not going into reverse this is most likely an adjustment issue. Check first for worn linkage, missing bushings etc. if the linkage is in good shape then adjust according to the factory manual. This has been covered before too, in another thread. A search for Fluid Drive will turn up lots of information.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I took my own advice this morning and just adjusted my sloppy 1953 shift linkage. Wow, quite an improvement. I’ve been putting up with it for 3 driving seasons. It literally took 5 minutes. I adjusted it one way. Nope, worse. The other way, awesome. Factory new feel again. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a related question if any of you above pros could help me.  I have a 47 Chrysler Windsor with the hydraulically operated transmission.  How do you adjust the over center spring and rod for the clutch pedal?  I have tried for hours and followed every detail  the manual.  When I depress the pedal to about half way  it then slams to the floor and will not return because the spring is over center.  I think the yellow rod may be bent.  I have adjusted the turnbuckle with no success.  Any suggestions.  Thanks for the help Clarke 

Go to the p15-d24 board website....find downloads...download the copy of the over center spring tool.

Line up the three holes in the tool with the three pivot pins by adjusting the turn buckle.

Adjust the clutch fork free play to 1" first.

Shown is the factory Miller tool being used on a 1948 Chrysler T&C.

20200411_214415_compress27.jpg

20200411_212307_compress91.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)