Part 2-Plastic Repair Tip-One That Works!

Riviera63

I recently ran across a plastic repair tip that I would like to pass along to you and that I think that some of you can use. I recently came into possession of a front driver's lower seat trim piece that was graciously given to me by Gene of AB & G as a throw in with some other pieces I had purchased. The problem with this piece was that it was cracked in several places and would need repair in order to be used. I'm sure that many of you are as frustrated as I have been by the inability of the various products on the market to do as they advertise. Especially, with a piece as thin and fragile as this one. I did a little research on line and ran across a YouTube video outlining a repair method that was perfect for a piece like this. Best of all it was cheap and it worked! The main ingredients are super glue and strips/pieces of any type of paper. I used regular printer paper. It is simply super glue, a layer of paper, super glue, a layer of paper, so on and so forth. One layer of paper or several depending on your needs. I used 2 layers on 2 areas and 3 layers on the other 2. When the patch dries it is very strong. I have attached a link to the YouTube video that details the procedure and pictures of my piece showing where it was cracked and the repair. 

I know there are probably other repair methods out there that may have worked that I am not aware of. Another method that was also very promising used super glue and baking soda. Cheap, quick and super strong. I deemed that method not as good of a method in this case but, would be very good for other plastic repairs on our cars. Many videos on this.

Bill

Plastic Repair 1.jpg

Plastic Repair 2.jpg

IMG_5880.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...

I am adding a second installment to my previous post about plastic repair using super glue and paper. One of my winter projects is to get the various power driver's seat lower trim pieces ready to be installed on my seat. In the first post I repaired the piece that mounts on the rear of the right side seat track. My pieces need to be black, so this one will probably just be painted. 

The next piece I decided to tackle was the trim piece that will mount on the brackets on the right side of the seat. This piece will cover the piece that fits on the rear of the track when the seat is down. When the seat is tilted up this piece moves with the seat and reveals that rear piece. These pieces were plastic so the survival rate of a piece is low. It was especially true for this piece on the right side. The piece I found for my car was no exception. It was broken into 2 pieces with a chunk missing.

My first step was to get the 2 pieces together again as one. I used a piece of duct tape to join the 2 pieces together as close as I could to the way they were before the break. I then used the same method as outlined above to repair the break. A layer of super glue, a piece of paper, a layer of super glue and a final layer of paper. I also layered paper and super glue to bridge and cover the area from the back side where the chunk was missing. When the repair was fairly well set I removed the duct tape to make sure it did not get glued to the front side. 

The drying time for the repair is very short. When this dries it is as strong as iron. Once it was dry, I moved on to step two. Step two was to mix up a batch of 2 part epoxy and fill in the area from the front where the piece was missing. I also applied epoxy along the crack line of the two pieces. When I joined the pieces together they did not align exactly flush, so there was an uneven ridge along the crack line. I let the epoxy dry over night.

Once the epoxy was dry I sanded the epoxy down so that it was smooth and flush. The epoxy sands very nicely. I used my dremel tool to sand down close to where I wanted it and finished up with varying grits of sandpaper to get it smooth. I plan to cover this piece with black vinyl so I need a smooth surface. 

I am waiting for some materials to arrive before I can move on. I will update as I progress. 

Bill

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

• Like 4

• Riviera63 changed the title to Part 2-Plastic Repair Tip-One That Works!

Next step completed. I cemented pieces of aluminum roof flashing to the back side of the trim piece. I did this to give the piece added strength to prevent breakage in the future. The roof flashing works well because it cuts easily and will contour to the curves of the piece. 

Bill

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG

Super glue and TP work well together.  To fill cracks and give them some strength, fill the crack with what we called B.S. Plasticizer - baking soda and super glue. Lay in the baking soda and smooth it out then let the Super glue work its way in via capillary action, don't just drip the glue in, it will splash and move the baking soda.  Sand and paint.  I've also used two part epoxy with fiberglass chopped strand, much easier than mixing resin.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 12/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, Riviera63 said:

I cemented pieces of aluminum roof flashing to the back side of the trim piece.

I recently discovered 'Roof Flashing' when doing my Door Veneer, about 10 mils thick.

A GOOD idea applying it to the backside of plastic skirting. However, about 2-months too late for me. But someday the driver's seat will have to come out to get the power seat tilt shaft to engage.

Thanks for sharing Bill.

🌲Merry Christmas to all the regulars and visitors here!🌲

• Thanks 1

I got the outer right side trim piece finished today. I covered the piece with black vinyl which should give it some additional strength. I also sprayed the inner, rear piece (which is the piece I repaired to begin this thread) and the 2 pieces that fit on the rear of the passenger seat tracks. I used Eastwood Underhood Matte Black spray paint and was happy with the match to the vinyl.

Bill

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

• Like 2

I also want to post this here for those that are finding it tough to find the driver's seat left side inner and outer trim pieces either unbroken or at all. It is somewhat related to what I did here to the right side trim piece. I had purchased the inner and outer left trim pieces from Gene of abandg. Gene had these pieces reproduced in metal. (FYI the outer piece will work for 63-64, but not 65, the 65 outer piece is different in shape and uses a different rear bracket, will work if you swap rear brackets) I don't know if he has any left or not but, worth giving him a call. I wanted a more original look than just painted metal. I was able to cover both pieces with the same black vinyl I used on the above piece. I am very happy with the results as I get the original look plus the durability of the metal construction. 

Bill

IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

• Like 1