Wheel studs

I’ve been dong some more searching for parts. One item I would like to replace are the wheel bolts and nuts. The correct ones are bent and are 92 years old and I’m more worried about safety more than anything else. The current ones are 1/2 X 4 1/2 course thread carriage bolts with extra heavy nuts. I do know that today studs are rolled threads, not cut and are fine thread. What grade of carriage bolts should I use? I’ve looked at quire a few companies and the only bolts I can find are course thread. Any help would be appreciated. Mike

Have you removed one yet ? You will probably find the diameter where it goes through the wheel is larger and possibly serrated similar to a regular more modern stud. A standard carriage bolt probably won't work and they are usually quite low grade.

You need to look at truck wheel studs and adapt as necessary. The Firestones on my Packard 2 ton look like carriage bolts until removed , then the difference becomes clear. Any idea of the make of the wheels, Firestone , or similar? I have a wheel catalog from the early 1930's that shows some of the truck parts.

Greg in Canada

Some early truck wheel studs look like carriage bolt heads from the outside. Usually part of the shank is serrated to prevent the stud from turning once installed. I have never seen an early truck wheel with a square recess to hold the square protrusion on a carriage bolt.

This is how it is done on my 1923 or so Packard { Firestone } set up. Factory optional wheels. I suspect yours will be similar.

Greg in Canada

DSC_9949.JPG

DSC_9946 (2).JPG

• Like 1

I have seen that type as well on formed steel fellows used with wood spoke wheels. The two ovals correspond to the inner and outer sheet steel surface of the fellow that have matching oval holes.  When you said carriage bolts I assumed cast wheels . I bought a couple of wood spoke , steel fellow wheels along the way 

because the rims are the same as what my truck uses. Unfortunately the studs that came with those wheels are no better than yo

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)