'64- fluid leak suggestions (oil sender, valve cover, P/S pump cap)

rivolution

Hi friends,

I'm trying to finally put an end to a few pesky leaks, and wondered if any of you have suggestions.  (1964, 425)

I have a leak at my oil pressure sending unit.  I've removed the sender, cleaned the threads, and wrapped generous teflon tape before re-install, but I'm still getting some oil coming out.

And.. my power steering pump is letting some fluid out from beneath the cap.   I /could/ buy a new cap, but has anybody had luck just cutting out their own gasket out of some fuel/oil-proof rubber?

And... Both of my valve cover gaskets are letting oil creep slowly out along the seam.  Any way to achieve a seal that will hold up better?

thanks for any help,

Jeff

1. Tighten the sender.  It should(?) have tapered threads.

2. You're possibly overfilled or have air in the system.  There shouldn't be any pressure in there at all; it's a reservoir.

3. Replace the gaskets, making sure that the covers are flat (i.e. not overtightened and warped).

11 hours ago, rivolution said:

Hi friends,

I'm trying to finally put an end to a few pesky leaks, and wondered if any of you have suggestions.  (1964, 425)

I have a leak at my oil pressure sending unit.  I've removed the sender, cleaned the threads, and wrapped generous teflon tape before re-install, but I'm still getting some oil coming out.

And.. my power steering pump is letting some fluid out from beneath the cap.   I /could/ buy a new cap, but has anybody had luck just cutting out their own gasket out of some fuel/oil-proof rubber?

And... Both of my valve cover gaskets are letting oil creep slowly out along the seam.  Any way to achieve a seal that will hold up better?

thanks for any help,

Jeff

I dont use teflon tape in spite of the fact I`ve worked with excellent techs over the years who do, I use the paste. Are you applying the tape in the correct rotation around the threads? If you apply the tape in the wrong direction the tape will unravel as you turn in the sender.

Often, the real source of a leak in this area is the aluminum oil filter adapter which often cracks. Also, are you sure oil from the leaking valve cover is not running down the block in the area of the sender? I would suggest fixing the leaks from the top down.

Tom Mooney

7 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

I dont use teflon tape in spite of the fact I`ve worked with excellent techs over the years who do, I use the paste. Are you applying the tape in the correct rotation around the threads? If you apply the tape in the wrong direction the tape will unravel as you turn in the sender.

Often, the real source of a leak in this area is the aluminum oil filter adapter which often cracks. Also, are you sure oil from the leaking valve cover is not running down the block in the area of the sender? I would suggest fixing the leaks from the top down.

Tom Mooney

Hi Tom

Out of interest..the aluminum oil filter adaptor referred to....is that a separate item between the 'screw-in' housing and the block?  And if so is it a unique 425 feature or is shared with 401?

All the best

Kev