1936 Buick Engine Color

MargaritavilleBuick

Bobs Automobilia and CARS no longer have the engine paint. Hirsch warned about possible slow delivery and I got impatient so I took a color sample to Ace Hardware. They mixed a perfect match using a paint they order for a local company that uses it on their shop machines. Smallest quantity is a quart. I had them put some in a rattle can. Works great. Obviously I don't know about it's longtime durability. If anyone is interested I can get Ace's product #'s.

Added product info-----The stuff is Benjamin Moore SUPER SPEC H.P., Ultra base P22-4B. It is a urethane alkyd gloss enamel. Part of the info on the can says "This rust preventive coating"---and---"metal doors, machinery, piping, storage tanks and equipment"--.

Edited by Bill Stewart
new info (see edit history)

Looking at your engine,  I see the color of your fender.   It looks just like my  35-58 Vicky.    Its called Pony Brown and my "yellowish color is called  Taffy Tan.    The Fender is now  "Ditz-Lac  intermix formula.   IM color   # IM 1073  Yedaz Tan.   If your body is the same as mine,  let me know.   I got this from AutoColorLibrary     www.tcpglobal.com   I haven't needed to get a small quantity of the brown but I will.    "tcpglobal" is located in california.   They specialize in 'old car colors'       My other color is one I will need to match by I think it is to far gone.   Iwill have to take it back to the original primer ?  and redo it.    Its the last thing I do.   Pretty is the last thing I do.    Mechanicals first so I have a dependable driver.    

• Like 1

Looking at your engine,  I see the color of your fender.   It looks just like my  35-58 Vicky.    Its called Pony Brown and my "yellowish color is called  Taffy Tan.    The Fender is now  "Ditz-Lac  intermix formula.   IM color   # IM 1073  Yedaz Tan.   If your body is the same as mine,  let me know.   I got this from AutoColorLibrary     www.tcpglobal.com   I haven't needed to get a small quantity of the brown but I will.    "tcpglobal" is located in california.   They specialize in 'old car colors'       My other color is one I will need to match by I think it is to far gone.   Iwill have to take it back to the original primer ?  and redo it.    Its the last thing I do.   Pretty is the last thing I do.    Mechanicals first so I have a dependable driver.    1871895578_Bestview35Buick.thumb.png.f5f55b99f8df214d0c082a97c50c56b6.png

• Like 1

I like coupe’s.    Your ‘36’ looks very nice.    How does it run ?   Oil pressure,  water temps after running for 15 or more minutes and then ideling for 5 min.    That will tell you the condition of the bearings and cooling system.     What oil are you using.     Our club recommends 15W40 Shell  Rotella T4  Diesel.     This has the necessary ZDDP levels for our old cars.     Just some thoughts on what we do to keep them running strong.     If you are in the frost free part of the country,  and you are having minor water temp’s issue,  using a distilled water with an additive for anti-corrosion and lubrications (water pump) will help.   Here in Florida, I use every thing I can to keep from overheating.   Way to much fun .....

She is running rough right now.  As stated in another thread, the guy I traded her from had no idea what he was doing and wound up screwing up more than he thought he was fixing.  I currently have the car at my mechanic who is correcting a few things that are outside of my ballpark.   The car has a new radiator which helps with overheating.  Will look into the oil weight; I was going to replace with 10W40.  We are in a frosty environment here in Northern Virginia, no snow yet this year.  Thank goodness.

Compression check and set the valves.   I use a remote reading  IR thermometer to see if any exhaust valves are leaking when running.   That will show you which valve / cylinder is a problem.   That tool will also show you if there is any cool spots on the block where  junk is stopping water from circulating .     The Shell Rotella T4  15W40  for DIESEL engines is available from Walmart at the best prices.   Other oil prices in other places are more expensive.    Very good on the new radiator.    The IR thermometer will also show you if there is any big temps changes around the surface of the rad.   I’m told that you should see about a 25 degree temp  difference from the inlet vs outlet water.    I use my Harbor Freight store for tools you can use occasionally and not spend a bundle.   

Do you have the small engine or big (320) engine ?    If you have problems,  be careful.    Engine work is a deep hole.     I know of a ‘36’  320 engine that you might get reasonable.   Maybe just a good head -   BTW,  do you belong to a Buick club ?   In addition to the big BCA club ?    I belong to the  ‘36-38’ Buick club’.    (Ad in the BCA monthly mag. ).      We are drivers rather that trailer guys.   Call Gene Phillips in Anderson Indiana,   765-642- 4088.     He’s the guy to talk to.  I joined them in 2013 and they are great.  I’m a fixer ‘ doer type guy so being able to call somebody to solve a question works with me.      Good technical guys when you have questions.

• Like 1