Herschell-Spillman 4 cylinder engine

Jim Wellock

I am interested in information/specifications of a 4 cylinder Herschell-Spillman engine.  Have been told that my unidentified antique chassis may have this engine.

Characteristics include:  aluminum crank case, oil pan, bell housing;  cast iron 4 cylinder block and head, cyl. bore 3 1/4 inches, cyl. stroke 5 inches, priming cups, Disco 12 volt starter, 2 blade fan/flat belt, Connecticut ignition, 2 part headered exhaust manifold right side of engine, camshaft operated oil pump with oil from oil pan to front cam gear, water cooled by thermosyphon, lubricated multiple disc/wet clutch and engine identification tag on left side of crank case is missing.

Thanks 

Jim

• 2 months later...

We have a 1922 version of the Herschell Spillman four cyl at our museum in North Tonawanda. There is also a 1918 version at the Buffalo Transportation Museum in Buffalo N.Y. If you goolgle " image of Herschell Spillman four cyl. engine" you will find lots of pics to compare your motor to.

:Looking at my admittedly incomp0lete H-S list, two possibilities show...

Their "I" a 31/4 b9re in a 1917 catalog...

Their 2700. a 3/4 x 5 in a 1930 catalog...possibly  you can find images to compare...

Whatever you're able to decide upon, you can Google for announcements of their introduction in the Auto mags of the Day...The Automobile, Motor Age, Motor Way ad nauseum...these introductory announcements usually contain enough desc/specs for a solid ID...

• 2 years later...