How to disassemble #80 cottered chain

just me

I could use some advice. I'm trying to shorten a new 10' piece of #80 cottered chain. Removed the two cotter pins from the link I wish to remove. Am unable to get the side plates wirh pins out.

A Google search turned up this note. Something important to note with cottered-style roller chains is that the side-plates are still a press-fit style, meaning that sufficient pressure will still be required to take plates off. 

So what's the best way to get the plates off and then reassemble after installing the chain on my application. 

Thanks in advance.

Charley

Tim, appreciate the reply. Also viewed them previously. Cottered chain is just a series of cottered connecting links joined together. Want to remove a 11 link piece of chain from the whole. 

If in the future will these cottered links be reusable or does the chain breaker damage them when removed? 

I'll call the company. 

You don't need a chain breaker to take cottered chain apart. The plates are a tight fit so you do have to force them off the pins. If you have a wide enough, wedge shaped, flat blade screw driver that you can force in between the plates that will work. Better yet, for #80 chain make a wedge out of 1/4" flat iron and taper one side. Try to walk the plate off by putting the wedge near one roller, lightly tap it in, then move near the other roller and tap again. Flip the chain over and do the other side. Sometimes you just need to wiggle the wedge in without tapping.  The pin diameter tapers to the end so once you force the plate off about the thickness of the plate it should practically fall off.  Any link can be separated and re-used again as long as you don't damage any parts. If you bend a plate though don't try to flatten it- throw it away.  You may have to force the plate back on but they usually go on & off easier once they have been taken apart so it would be a good idea to bend the cotter pins differently than the rest of the links so you can find the same link the next time you need to open the chain.