$400,000 for Matchbox Toy Collection

The £300,000 toy car collection: British collector sells haul of 3,000 Matchbox models accumulated over 60 years for huge sum

• Simon Hope, 68, had been collecting the 1:75-scale model cars from a young age
  • Almost 3,000 toy cars were in pristine condition and in their original packaging 
  • His haul of miniature motors was sold across three vintage toy auctions
  • The combined premium paid for the collection was in excess of £300,000
  • image.png.ac9edb67b43993aef6937b2d23018928.png

image.png.852a9410a06b664247f2466c87abf7ac.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started collecting these about 30 years ago when you had only a handful of people dealing with them. Managed to get one of every casting of the first series (Lesney - up to 69). Back then color variations were rare and typically only happened when they ran out of paint! I have a few color variations but stopped collection no once I had each model. eBay helped round out the collection when I needed about 100+ . Total of 384 if memory serves...all in display cases, in the garage...

Edited by 72caddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am disabled now and no longer can work on real cars so working on models / miniatures of the real thing has been a good fill in.  Between Dinky, Corgi and the original matchbox cars I have had quite an education in non US model cars.  I just bought new tires for some Dinky toys on eBay to put on some I’m working on.  It’s nice when 4 new tires only cost about $6!

• Like 1