1933 Lincoln tire covers

John Kelso

Probably should post photos.......and size. With Lincoln, factory or custom bodies could make a difference as to suppliers and style.  They are getting very hard to find....for any 30’s big car. Often Lincoln used the same covers as Pierce. Finding them with good trim is difficult.

Is 33 Lincoln 18 inch or 17?   I can tell you the 18's are made of unobtanium.    The Indy region of the CCCA was reproducing sidemount covers for years which was awesome.  But that project ended 10 years ago and the stampings got lost.  I have a buddy who needed a set of 18 inch covers and was willing to pay 4k for set of originals that a club guy had as a spare set.   He wouldn't let them go.

I sold a set for a 1932 Pierce that were very nice and had all the trim on them two years ago for 4500.........I probably could have got more.

• Like 1

Do you need a one piece or a two piece cover - aka why pictures were suggested ? 

If two piece cover:

The tread plates would cross to Packard - you need a fairly wide tread width.  

There was a fellow spinning face plates for 1932 Packard Twin Six back 10 years ago - they would work fine and are an 18" wheel - unfortunately I do not recall who anymore.  

Or you could spin them.

And, as to chrome/stainless trim - well, hope you are resourceful, but been there done that and figured it out.  

If one piece cover:

I hope someone with a Lincoln has a set and likes you - one piece covers are not easy to find in 18".

I would say Ed's pricing referenced was pretty accurate and I would possibly add a "+" to that, but I would NOT add a "-" to that.

I saw on CCCA Bulletin someone had a set of 1931 Cadillac 18" V-8 covers for $2,500 + Shipping - that would hold a 7:00 x 18 tire and probably be a tight squeeze for many current 7:00's to fit.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

It is always nice to find a complete or even partial set, but if you need to make up a set, usually Lincolns and Packards have a wide enough tread cover (maybe some Cadillacs and Buicks too) - you can generally find tread covers on ebay over time.

As to the face plate - you probably will  need a Lincoln cover as not much 18" available in 1930's in the style of your photo.

Or perhaps a 17" wheel Packard cover could be welded on and adapted to fit - lot of work though.

I initially suggested a 1932 Packard Twin Six cover (also 18" - actually the only Packard to use an 18" wheel), but they are different at the hub (they are similar at the edge though - Packard uses a Chrome ring next to edge detail).  The Packard cover face plates were reproduced about 10 years ago - not sure who did them though (want to say a fellow in Pennsylvanian) - here is a photo of one I bought.

I would just try to find a proper Lincoln one to borrow and spin a set of face plates. 

post-42000-143138078367_thumb.jpg.1638ae72fa8649122a4abbb7f1db13a8.jpg work though

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)