1920's Wiring Harness Question

Terry Harper

We are currently working to get the headlights wired-up for our 1928 Lombard Dump Truck.

Recently we came across a photo showing the wire harness conduit running to the headlights.

As you can see from the photo there is a "Tee" junction where the conduit runs up the radiator side casting

to the headlight. The main conduit continues around the base of the radiator and eventually ends

at the right headlight.

The conduit is asphaltic coated cloth. (we found suitable replacement through Brillman)

B9007-005-Web.jpg.ffc1234e13b06a4998fc517bfbf346b3.jpg

Now my question... 

How was the "Tee" formed? would there have been some sort of a T-fitting? (Bakelite perhaps?)

from the photo it doesn't look like its just friction taped together? 

Since its exposed we would like to do it right.

Wiring.thumb.jpg.d819a2b1f3665b5733af1b4c08db79c7.jpg

Best regards,

Terry

The street rod wiring guys have T's in different sizes.

Painless or Ron Francis or the likes.

They would rather sell you an expensive kit but if you get the right guy on the phone you may be able to buy one.

I may even have one in my leftover stuff.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Thanks Mark,

I think I have a course of action plotted out. I designed a T-fitting in Solidworks. This will be 3D printed

(its actually printing now) Once its done, sanded and smoothed-up it will serve as a pattern

for a phenolic resin casting so I end up with a faux-bakelite fitting which should approximate the

size and material of the original.

Again, thank you for the help!

Terry

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2019 at 2:14 PM, JACK M said:

The street rod wiring guys have T's in different sizes.

Painless or Ron Francis or the likes.

They would rather sell you an expensive kit but if you get the right guy on the phone you may be able to buy one.

I may even have one in my leftover stuff.

While I can't speak for the folks at Painless, I can tell you that we at Ron Francis Wiring go above and beyond in helping folks with their wiring needs. We believe in selling the right product for the right application and will never try to sell merchandise to someone that they don't need.

• Like 2