How to measure tire size?

stretch cab

I am ready to buy tires for my project that is shown in the Restoration section of this site.  It is listed as Grandpa's Car.  I believe the running gear is from a 1919 Chevy or older but I really do not know.  How should I measure the rims to know what size tires I need?  I know that one of the old tires was 30x3 1/2 but I have since found that one rim is a little wider than the others.  What I do not know is whether this was the rim that held the tire that I saw the size listed above on.  My spare rim never had a tire so it may be the wider one.  The tires were shot and I threw them away long ago.

PDVD_011.JPG

30x3-1/2 is the Ford model T size, and goes on a 23" clincher rim. The size was also used on several other makes of car (Chevrolet, Maxwell, Studebaker, etc.). If the rims are indeed 23" and clincher (not straight sided), then 30x3-1/2 will be the only economical choice, and maybe the only choice.

Measure the rim from where the bottom of the bead sits.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

And if I understand your terminology correctly , the width you mention is not an extremely critical dimension in this case. Not rim width, but rim DIAMETER as measured

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

30x3-1/2 is.....................23" 

Measure the rim from where the bottom of the bead sits.

Merry Christmas, and I sure hope the New Year turns out to be a very happy one for you. I know you have had some extremely trying times recently.    -    Carl 

• Like 1