Look what followed me home.

Terry Bond

I did the "rescue" thing and hauled home the remains of a 1935 Morris Eight 4dr.  It's the same car as the one I've already got in the garage, only this one is a real basket case.  It's been passed around for several years, and ended up on a farm north of Richmond.  It was spread out all over the place, fortunately most of it was sheltered. I'm guessing it's about 60-70% complete with too much missing to restore - so, it becomes a spare parts stash in case I ever need anything for my car. Got a spare engine (not the right year for the car, but close), trans, rear end, front and rear axles, steering stuff, sheet metal (doors, fenders, etc) and several boxes of odds and ends, indiscriminately stripped, disassembled and tossed into boxes with no organization of any kind.  It would be a real jig-saw puzzle for someone who doesn't know what's right for the car!  I'll have fun over the next month or so sorting, cleaning, labeling, and packing away. 

One reason I decided to haul this home was because the cars are not seen often.  I've become aware of only about a dozen or so.  Anyone else got one?  I've included a photo of mine parked next to Susan's 1948 MGTC.  They are related, and it's interesting to see the pre-war and post-war comparison.

Terry

M8 for forum.jpg

Morris 8 and TC together.jpg

• Like 6

Great find. Parts cars are always a good thing as long as you have the space. Especially for something as rare as a prewar Morris in North America. Parts are probably somewhat available in the U.K. but shipping can get costly on anything bulky or heavy. I am sure it will pay off over time and you might be able to arrange trades with other Morris owners. Does anything directly interchange with the TC ?

Were these sold new in the U.S. ? Or have they made there way in from the U.K. or possibly Canada. There is a smattering of pre - war British saloons out here on the West Coast of Canada. Some were sold new here but they were a relatively small segment our domestic market. Post war sales really took off.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hi Terry, and congrats on a nice save.

Fortunately, you and Susan enjoy some of the same things.

Considering that it is British and was north of Richmond,

was Bruce aware of it?

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

The Morris has quite a few parts that look nearly interchangable.  I've not tried to  actually measure and compare, but springs, front axle, some steering, and of course a lot of electrical components should be very close fits, with the exception of course the Morris is a 6V system.  I've not spoken with Bruce about the car yet but I'm sure he knows the guy who had it.  There are several club members there who live in the vicinity.  It wasn't a chance discovery but a tip from club members who had noticed it on the farm, and knowing I had one, they passed the info along.  That's one of the great things about the AACA network.

Terry

• Like 1