Alas - I loved this car!

chipcross

I loved my red 1990 Reatta! I bought it in 2008 with 62,000 miles. It went to car heaven last month with 175,000 (rear ended by texting driver at 40 mph!). Thankfully, my seat back broke with the impact and I was "gently" laid backwards with no injury.

What did I do on my Reatta? Everything you can think of and read about on this VALUABLE forum - and then some.  Here is a list. If you plan to keep your car in tippy top shape, expect these kinds of repairs (listed in no particular order):

Coil (first repair that this forum helped with!)

Instrument panel (two of them over the course of time)

Brake Accumulator

Change AC system to 134

Headlight arms

Headlight motor

Headlight switch (ouch)

Freeze plugs

Harmonic balancer

Oil level sensor

Mass Airflow sensor

Cam position sensor

Idle arm control valve

Intake Manifold gasket (twice)

All engine and transmission mounts

Expensive paint job with pin-striping

Normal wear and tear maintenance: water pump, struts, etc.

Door lock actuators

New Steering Column

Did I mention that I loved to drive this car? If you love it, plan to replace these items and you won't be dismayed when they break.

I want to especially thank Ronnie and Barney for their advice and devotion to keeping this American classic on the road, as well as my local parts supplier here in Southern California, known by the handle "Steve Skyhawk, who was always willing to give an opinion!!!

I feel your pain. I lost my 89 Reatta in 2008 after owning it for about 10 years. Rammed into at a service shop. Like yourself, I really enjoyed the vehicle.  I've own many cars over the years, but the Reatta almost never failed to attract a comment or two while filling up.  Usually, "Is that a Buick!" or "When did Buick come out with this?"  Like yourself, I spent a considerable amount of money keeping it in good condition.  Frankly, I did not realize how much I had spent till I cleaned out the glove compartment full of service receipts before the new owner brought a trailer to carry the car off.   Even though I spent a fair amount of money on repairs, this forum and its members helped me do many of the repairs myself, which did save some "coin".   Over the years, I thought I might get another Reatta, but I'm getting older as is the car, and at the moment I don't have the garage space.  Alas, I don't think I will be a Reatta owner again. It was a ride to remember!!  I still drop by the forum off and on, so like Ronnie stated, you can visit here without owning a car.  

• Like 1

It's interesting to see comments about spending so much on our Reattas BUT I believe in general Reatta owners drive their cars more.  Components wear out when you drive the cars, no matter what it is.  I have a 76 Cadillac with 60,000 original miles that components don't need replaced, generally, because it is not driven. But how many of our Reattas have 150,000 + miles on them! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

It's interesting to see comments about spending so much on our Reattas BUT I believe in general Reatta owners drive their cars more.  Components wear out when you drive the cars, no matter what it is.  I have a 76 Cadillac with 60,000 original miles that components don't need replaced, generally, because it is not driven. But how many of our Reattas have 150,000 + miles on them! 

That's the thing about these cars. They are driven. Because underneath all the beauty, and the luxury, and the cool 80's aesthetic, it's a Buick. It's made to be driven.

I daily mine also :D