1952 Chrysler fuel tank

nickg112

I have a 1952 Town and Country. The fuel line that goes to the tank broke. The old fitting is jammed and I cannot get it out. I want to try drilling it out but want to have a new fitting before I start. Does anyone know where to get one of these fittings? My understanding is the flair is different from a common flair (double bubble). The 1st photo below shows the broken line on my car. The second photo labeled 53 tank is a photo I found on the internet. This is not my car but shows how the inside looks and where the flair seats. I believe the thread size is a 1/2 inch and is just a standard thread ( not a tapered pipe tap). That is why a flair seats on the bottom and the actual threads do not seal the fuel. The flair does the work.

I tried an easy out on my tank and no luck on moving the fitting.

I just added a 3rd photo. This is the part that I think I need.

If I cannot get the correct fitting and flair, my next step is to cut the tank and weld a new fuel tank bung that will have a tapered pipe tap hole for sealing fuel.

Any ideas or thought appreciated.

IMG_3021[1].JPG

53 tank.jpg

ferrule.jpg

Edited by nickg112
additional info (see edit history)

I had the same problem on a 52 New Yorker sedan. It seems to me it was a standard type of flare fitting like a brake line but maybe a single flare. I couldn't get mine to seal and did not want to over tighten it, so I put in a red fibre washer left over from an old carb kit and it sealed perfectly.

Yours looks funny as if someone hit it with a tapered reamer. You could try making a bubble flare by upsetting the tube end with a brake flaring tool then don't do the last step. Or use a European brake line with a bubble flare.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

That picture of the internal tank fitting was a picture I posted on another website and yes the tube nut is a special long tube nut. The tube end is a special bubble flare backed up with a flared.copper sealing washer. I posted pictures of all that. I will post them again if needed when back.