Video about today's fuel with Ethanol and corrosion

Mark Kikta

Hey all,

A friend sent me this video about Ethanol Fuel and what happens after it sits for 9 months.  I found it very interesting.  After watching this I need to find a place to buy fuel without ethanol for all of my vehicles.  I think you will find this quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvS_D4_lF5U&feature=em-uploademail

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

Ethanol binds water to gasoline, either water it picks up from the air, or water the oil companies allow in gas, knowing they can get away with it, since the gas is 10% booze and will dissolve the water. Water is terrible to some metals like aluminum and pot metal, cast iron, etc., it causes corrosion to metals that pure gasoline doesn't. Ethanol causes a little corrosion, but water is much worse and causes much more corrosion than ethanol, but the ethanol is why the water got there. But pure gasoline will preserve these metals and not cause any corrosion at all! Ethanol is not the problem, the water it attracts is the problem. Luckily, water attracts ethanol much more than gasoline does, so water takes it out.

Here is how to get the water and hooch out of the gasohol:

1. Buy a 5 gallon bottle at the homebrew supply store, along with about 5 feet of vinyl tube and 3 foot plastic racking stick.

2. Put 4 gallons of gas in the bottle and a gallon of water. Shake it all around.

3. After they separate out in a few minutes, there will be 1.4 gallons of water/alcohol mixture at the bottom and 3.6 gallons of pure gasoline at the top.

4. Syphon the 1.4 gallons of rot-gut out of the bottom and the rest is pure gasoline.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The best thing I have found is don't let the gas sit for months on end.   I opened the carb on my 60 to diagnose a bog issue.  The car had just on 35k original miles. Unmolested. Car sat a lot.   I figured the carb would have gummy crap from the ethanol.  There was none to speak of.  I found a dry leather accelerator pump and replaced same.  Replaced the top and base gasket.    

Don't let the gas sit.  Run the engine introducing fresh gas from time to time.   

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

The best thing I have found is don't let the gas sit for months on end.   I opened the carb on my 60 to diagnose a bog issue.  The car had just on 35k original miles. Unmolested. Car sat a lot.   I figured the carb would have gummy crap from the ethanol.  There was none to speak of.  I found a dry leather accelerator pump and replaced same.  Replaced the top and base gasket.    

Don't let the gas sit.  Run the engine introducing fresh gas from time to time.   

Generally speaking, a dry LEATHER  accelerator pump may be rejuvenated by simply adding a few drops of light machine oil.

Jon.

1 hour ago, carbking said:

Generally speaking, a dry LEATHER  accelerator pump may be rejuvenated by simply adding a few drops of light machine oil.

Jon.

Yes sir.  But I replaced with a pump in the kit.  That is all I used in the kit as far a rubber products. The float needles are made of metal in my particular carb.   Bog is gone.    For this thread, my experience, run them on the regular.  Don't let the gas sit.

I had a thought as well,  some simply need to store their cars for extended periods.  Just no way around it.  Using the technique in the videos maybe make a  batch of removed ethanol/water and fill the bowl.    Run the tank as dry as possible and fill with the ethanol free blend created.  

Just a thought as well,  if the gas is not sitting for 9 months, what does it look like after sitting say a month, 2-3 months or 4-6 months.  Does constant moving of fresh gas on the regular not cause problems?  

Either way, I'm going to try this and see how my cars perform!!!!      

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)