1949 76R Seep Spear WTB

50jetback

Urgently Wanted to Buy

Grp 8.185  Part 1341161

LEFT SIDE SWEEP SPEAR MOULDING

1949 - 76c - 76R

A friend has just purchased a beautiful 1949 Roadmaster Riviera 76R from the USA.

It was shipped without incident from the USA but once an Aussie trucker got involved it has sustained some damage.

Consequently he is in need of a left hand rear sweep spear moulding.

RM2.jpg

img-191015135128-001.jpg

img-191015134840-001.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete Phillips said:

I have an entire set of 1949 model 76-R exterior trim coming in about 8-10 days, so I can probably help then.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Really great news Pete.

I believe my mate Jeff has contacted you already.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Buickborn said:

Hans, it looks to me like the Elko NV Riv that was advertised in Hemmings for a while -- even appears to be wearing a Nevada license plate.  

Thanks a lot. Had not seen that on Hemmings. And I wasn't able to identify the license plate. 👍

Just wondering . . . does anyone on this forum have a clear sense as to whether the number of U.S. collectible cars going overseas is at all offset by the number of such vehicles being imported here?  It appears that Americans are running quite a trade surplus of sorts in this market -- that is, selling more than we're buying -- especially in the case of high-end vehicles.    Given the country's large population and relative affluence (not to mention the natural American preference for American cars), it's hard not to wonder why so many of our collectible cars have to go overseas in order to find homes.

3 hours ago, 50jetback said:

Hans - yes it is. 

It's now in Australia amongst other good Buick company!!

Congratulations to the new owner. 👌Love the video of the car on the Daniel Schmitt website, especially the part when the car is slowly being driven out of the building. Just graceful! - Thanks for confirming! 

52 minutes ago, Buickborn said:

Just wondering . . . does anyone on this forum have a clear sense as to whether the number of U.S. collectible cars going overseas is at all offset by the number of such vehicles being imported here?  It appears that Americans are running quite a trade surplus of sorts in this market -- that is, selling more than we're buying -- especially in the case of high-end vehicles.    Given the country's large population and relative affluence (not to mention the natural American preference for American cars), it's hard not to wonder why so many of our collectible cars have to go overseas in order to find homes.

Buickborn - I just recently bought this car from Kentucky. Have not seen it yet in person, is still on its way to Germany, but is supposed to be driver quality only. Was on ebay but no other bid than mine. Really wondered about that. Hubcaps included but not installed. 😁 The car has its obvious flaws, but nothing that cannot be fixed, at least I hope so. 😁

Germany is surely not Buick territory, but I am just fascinated by the brands' history and styling of the 40s and 50s. But here are no high-end restored Buicks, at least I am not aware of, no market for these. Only worthy collectables here for most people are Mercedes and Porsche, nothing else. Went to a classic car seller last week and saw 5 Mercedes 300 SL gull wings and convertibles and numerous 190 SL's of 50s vintage and even a few Porsche Spyders among dozens 50-90s Porsche. Great cars, for sure, but nothing so special here. American cars of the 50s have such a huge aura and presence that is absolutely thrilling to me. Maybe that explains the interest of people outside of the US, at least mine. 😎 When I go to a car meet here e. g. with my 56 Caddy CdV, although it is in a poor condition, people are just stunned by it. When I explain its features or open the hood, people are asking 'really?' or is that a V8? People cannot believe its opulence and power. It is the star on every meet. Not a single lady not saying 'Was für ein schönes Auto!' ('what a beautiful car!') despite all of the dings and bad chrome. And it drives like a dream.... Cannot wait to drive my 53 Roadmaster Riviera again that came this week back from the paint shop. Needs reassembly now..... Sorry for contemplating, couldn't sleep. 

49b1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hans -- I'm glad that Riv found you as its new owner!  I'd seen it on eBay a couple of times and was surprised at the modest bidding for such an iconic car -- probably due to interior work needed.  No doubt you'll have that little matter fixed in no time.  Congrats on your excellent acquisition!

Buickborn - thanks a lot! Very nice of you. On Friday I pick it up in Rotterdam.

I did not like the green interior anyway, so I will put something in more decent and in my view appropriate. SMS fabric and leather samples already arrived at home. 😁

To me it looks like that people do not want any kind of project car anymore. They want to drive and enjoy only. Nothing wrong with that. To work on a car and improve it makes it really mine, that's my philosophy. 

• Like 1

Well, Hans, I agree with your ideas about acquiring something that needs a friend.  A car in which I have some "skin" not only is a source of greater satisfaction for me than one that would reflect merely a fat checkbook, but it also provides stronger bragging rights😄.  Further, it helps to invite others into the hobby, by means of the message, "If I can do this myself in my own humble garage, then so can you."  

Edited by Buickborn
Left the "s" off of "means." (see edit history)

Buickborn, like that expression of yours a lot, 'acquiring something that needs a friend'. Reminds me of my 1950 Caddy Club Coupe that I bought 4 years back. The car was sitting in a three car garage (among a Mercedes and a 40s Citroen) for at least 10 to 15 years, grill, right front fender, both bumpers etc. disassembled, absolutely dead electrical system, starter badly rusted and not functional, starter button nonop etc. The car has not been covered with anything over these many years. Above the cars cheap screws were used for the ceiling, they started to rust and the rust had fallen on the cars, resulting in small heaps of rust on the cars that worked their way into the paint and even chrome. Inside the Caddy was an absolute time capsule, all original, not redone at a later date, really original, seats, carpet, door panels, wonderfully cracked steering wheel. Although the car was a catastrophe outside, it seemed to talk to me 'Get me out of here, pleassseee!'. Of course I couldn't resist and the seller was a really really nice person. Took me a few weeks to get the car running, but when I heard the 331 cui engine the first time it was absolutely thrilling. One of the most rewarding things I ever did on cars. 😊😊😁

Looks like you have similar experiences. Great! 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 10:30 AM, Hans1965 said:

Congratulations to the new owner. 👌Love the video of the car on the Daniel Schmitt website, especially the part when the car is slowly being driven out of the building. Just graceful! - Thanks for confirming! 

This was another good presentation by Daniel SCHMITT

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-1936-buick-series-40-special-convertible/

I notice it turned up in Europe last year, advertised in December at 54,000 GBP ( around $70,000 US$ ) and is already listed as SOLD. 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1001981

There certainly seems to be a lot more high end cars including desirable Buick models heading over your way. 

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Wow, this 1936 looks amazing, too. Love the wheels. Is it normal that the longer you are interested in us cars, your interest shifts to older and older cars?

There are a quite a few high end US cars offered by RD Classics in Emmerich /Germany. A few above 100.000 Euros. Seem to sit in their shop forever. Really nice offering. 

When I picked up my 49 Roadmaster yesterday in Rotterdam at this US car importer, they had around  25 cars in the warehouse and around 250 cars outside. Two large multi car trailers outside waiting to be loaded. Inside they had my 49, a mid 50s Ford, an early 50s Caddy sedan, some Mercedes convertibles of the 70s and some real super sports cars like a lambo. Outside was a rusty 40s Ford Coupe and a 70s Charger. Not much really old American iron. The big time even for the so popular Mustangs to be shipped to Europe seems to be over, prices go down since a while.