1937 Rear Fenders Question

Embarrassingly, I am stumped about where the support rods along the bottom of the rear fender attach. I was under my car yesterday and I can't see any evidence where they mount. I found the captive nuts on the inside of the fenders, but see no logical place where the other end attaches. I took these off the car maybe 2 yeas ago when I began to restore it but my memory is failing me now that it's time to re-install. My guess is they go somewhere on the frame but I see NO holes that would allow this to happen. Can any one point me in the right direction or supply a photograph? Many thanks!  Chris.

Hi Chris

Actually these are more like inner fender shields. — curved sheet metal pieces attached to the bottom of the rear wheel opening and then to the frame about 4 or 5 inches in front of the rear spring shackle.  I tried to take pictures, but it’s hard to get the I-pad in the right position.  I hope this helps a little  The first picture is looking rearward on the driver side and the second is looking forward on the passenger side.

Tom

C2F6A80D-2C02-4942-8AF8-578507F97BE1.jpeg

AFDBE91F-F931-4A32-9B57-C9B17DA4131C.jpeg

Chris

just went through this with my CE. For sure attachments on fender but no logical place on frame. 

I built new rods and installed them instead. Can send pic if you want. 

Anybody can help out there?

37s2de: Yes the shields can fit but apparently not every vehicle. Different than the dog bone rods. 

Don — You are probably right that the shields aren’t for all ‘37 models. I used sedan rear fenders and used the shields because I had them. I now remember that there was another bracket spot welded at the top of the shield that I had to remove to get the shields to fit.  The 5 holes in my first picture that I never filled in after drilling out the spot welds were the clue. I got lazy and didn’t weld the holes up. 

Chris — You didn’t say if you needed the support rods themselves.  This picture is what I now think came off my CE when purchased. I don’t know if this is original, or from which side of the truck, but it’s yours if you want it.

Tom

BF4B40F2-0A3B-44B8-BDE7-AB89ECABB245.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2019 at 2:46 PM, 37S2de said:

Don — You are probably right that the shields aren’t for all ‘37 models. I used sedan rear fenders and used the shields because I had them. I now remember that there was another bracket spot welded at the top of the shield that I had to remove to get the shields to fit.  The 5 holes in my first picture that I never filled in after drilling out the spot welds were the clue. I got lazy and didn’t weld the holes up. 

Chris — You didn’t say if you needed the support rods themselves.  This picture is what I now think came off my CE when purchased. I don’t know if this is original, or from which side of the truck, but it’s yours if you want it.

Tom

BF4B40F2-0A3B-44B8-BDE7-AB89ECABB245.jpegTom— Do you still have this bracket? I’m in need of a pair. I could make a mirror mage one if I could find one to work with...

Edited by drrotor (see edit history)