Rebuild 64 Riv engine and transmission

OIB63

I am live in Phila area and I am seeking a shop that can rebuild my engine and transmission in my 64 Riv   I have chatted with Tom (Telriv)  But I need a shop that can pull and reinstall them too 

i dont have the skill set or I would have Tom rebuild them  

Any recommendations?

Of course, the first question is: why do you think these need to be rebuilt?

Once you've answered that, acquire the skill set and do it yourself.  It ain't rocket science, and you can buy/rent/borrow the tools for less than you'll pay someone else.  You'll likely need to outsource any work on the heads or block, but the assembly itself is straightforward enough.  Granted, the transmission is a bit trickier, but you can have the whole kit and caboodle out of the car in a couple of hours.  From that point, the engine is a matter of reading the shop manual carefully and paying attention.

Engine is leaking oil, blows some blue smoke on start up.  I am also going to have the frame powered coated while both are out of the car  will obviously  have the body removed   Tom recommend to have the tranny done at the same time and I agree while they are both out. 

It appears to be the main seal. 

Believe me when I tell you on a car W/O A/C I can have the engine out in 45 min. to an hour. After the engine is out tackle the trans.   Doing each separately is easier than trying to do it as one whole unit. 

IF you plan it right you don't even need to remove the hood.

Tom T.

Thanks I am well past that point 🤣   Already have 15k+ at least into it on top of purchase price Most of what I did was elective.  I will keep asking around I really want to get it done and done right    I have not worked on a car since 1978 and would not want to screw anything up.  

Edited by OIB63 (see edit history)

Had all the suspension replaced, ball joints, tie rod, shocks, breaks rebuilt, new steering box, water pump.  Wheel bearings redone. Had a vintage air system installed, which required some customization since they don’t make one specifically for the Riv.  Had all the u-joints and center mount replaced.  New break lines and fuel line.

Had the rear dropped, blasted all the control arms, pan hard bar and rear powered coated.  Had all the bushing replaced .  While it was out had new axel bearing and bearings put in the rear.  Had new emergency brake cables made.

if I am going to take something out I am going to touch all the components that make sense to have done.

Had the stock radio rebuilt so it has FM and blue tooth.

Recovered the seats, new carpet and insulation.  Trunk lined.  Some of the wood grain replaced too.

New exhaust from Waldron

I am sure I missed a few.  Now it just needs motor and tranny done. 

Personally, i'd find a reputable hot rod shop. You're near a big city, you might have some good candidates near by. Typical mechanic's shops don't have the know-how to take on a big project or deal with the problems that show up when you take apart a 50 year old car. Small jobs equal faster money, and big projects just don't pay well. Have you talked to anyone about hourly rates? Normal shop time is about $120/hr here in CA. I imagine it's near that back east. Paying someone to pull the body off is going to get very expensive very fast. If any of these car shows are to be partially believed, you're probably going to hit $50-75K to make a nice driver. If its something you love, and your wallet can handle the beating, go for it. I know I would. If you're looking to flip it later on, you're going to take a big hit.

I had a 67 mustang that was eating the engine's bearings. I know a 302 like the back of my hand. But my back and other health problems stopped me from pulling the motor. Not to mention my HOA would most likely murder me in the driveway for pulling a motor. I sold that car for a fraction of what I had in it. 

Edit: you're much farther along than I guessed. Very nice ride!

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)

Thanks I have read so many horror stories about the motor rebuild I want to adopt Tom and have him come live here for 6 months lol 

Then when I am long gone it will last for another 55 years   Well at some point it might have to be converted to electric lol

• Like 1