Oil overfilling the differential

Mpgp1999

Right before the Wisconsin meet my transmission was going out.  Large chunks of metal shavings were in the oil. The counter shaft was moving on its own. I acquired another transmission and put new SEALED bearings in. I filled it out with the thick nlgi 000 oil and I hoped that was the last time it would ever leak. To my surprise it is leaking and going on the brakes. What do I need to do now. Also the oil in the transmission and differential has very fine metallic particles. Should I be worried. 

874786F7-47F0-468A-964F-C9204A0FEDA8.jpeg

6C3BAAE6-EE31-4E9A-BFE3-B2520D920F17.jpeg

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

From what you are describing there it is definitely worn parts in the gear box and diff. FILINGS IN THE OIL IS A GOOD INDICATOR. You have one choice and that is to take them apart  and repair as needed However, you will have to wash the housings insides clean as a whistle. There might also be breather holes along the diff some where or some sort of aperture to let the pressure out when hot.

Some use paraffin = kerosene. Metal in the oil is a very strong indicator of end of life.

Our motorhome had a sheen in the oil when I changed it one time. That means metal particles. I had a truck shop disassemble it. One bearing was starting to fail and allowing movement, which was damaging a seal, putting metal in the oil. New bearing, new seal, new oil, perhaps something else I can't remember, = fixed!

As trini says, clean it all to spotless and inspect very carefully for inappropriate movement. There will be a lot if you have filings in the oil.

• 1 month later...

I had the oil analyzed and found these results. The transmission was rebuilt. The only new parts were the roller bearings. There were lots of non ferrous metals in the oil. It looked like bronze powder. 

E3F11AA9-E028-478D-9DAA-387D43F148DA.jpeg

I feel that I assembled my transmission incorrectly. When I rebuilt the transmission I replaced the front and rear roller bearings. From what I can recall the shafts were easy to put in and out. The clutch just slid on the flywheel and into the transmission. I don’t recall anything holding it in other that the motor and trans prevent it from moving too much. I forgot to put the springs. It rumbles often when not depressing the clutch. It is very noisy when depressing the clutch. Moving back. I don’t think I filled the universal joint housing with grease. There is a gasket between the transmission and universal joint housing. There is no major oil leaks there. What stops the oil from going down the torque tube?  

If you put modern seals in your diff then it’s probably going to pressurise and blow oil out somewhere.  When I did mine I put a breather hole in one of the rear case top bolts - seems to work fine and no oil comes out of the breather bolt or anywhere else on the diff.

• Like 1