RIGHT ON, WALLY!

[color:\\"red\\"]

Wally's recent posting:

================================================================================

Re: My two cents reply [re: 1991Convertible]

11/03/02 05:52 PM Edit Reply

This will be my last response to annonomous posters....

================================================================================

[color:\\"blue\\"] Way to go, Wally! I also will refuse to open, read or respond to anonymous postings.

ANYONE ELSE...?

Jerry

ALF's with me on this one!

Jerry,

You probably won't even see this if you won't read an anonymous posting, but I am sorry to see your decision. I have been posting on this forum for three years and, since I have a Reatta and a '55 bird like you, I have always considered you a kindred spirit. But, unlike you, I am open to hearing from anonymous postings on this forum.

I just can't understand why the AACA, who sponsors this site, feels that an open forum is valuable but the registered users of this forum feel they should close" it.

With all due respect, Jerry it is of paramount importance for all of us to encourage, help, and treat with respect EVERYONE who comes to this site. We are enthusiasts of extremely rare, complex automobiles that have been out of production for almost 12 years. The anonomous poster that is ignored, chided for newbie "mistakes", or otherwise made to feel unwelcome on this board is someone who will be less inclined to keep his/her Reatta, less likely to become a dues paying member of the BCA and the Rdiv, less likely to be a purchser of parts and accessorys (that some of you sell) and most importantly, less likely to become a contributer of their unique knowledge and experience in both life and Reattas and the board will be all the poorer for it.

It aint like this is a Corvette board and we have 25,000 potential new members each year as people purchase new Corvettes. The number of Reattas in useable condition and therefore have potential board members attached to them is necessarily slowly declining. This makes getting new people excited about the Reatta experience more important with each passing day. The "club mentality" that sometimes comes across can and will destroy this board's usefulness and comraderie if we start chasing away the uninitated.

Excellent examples of this are posting the "here we go again" comment when a newbie makes the same "mistake" or asks the same "stupid" question has been done by many newbies before them. If it is something that happens "constantly" then obviously it is not stupidity on the posters part, just a common "mistake" that newbies make.

Back and forth flaming of even the nutjobs dicourages browsers of this forum from posting and registering as no one wants to be exposed to ridicule, even on something as meaningless as a Reatta Bulliten board.

So, I say let's dust off the old welcome mat and be as accomodating as possible, or mark my words this board will slowly become a ghost town.

Just my 2 cents.

READ THE GUY TRYING TO SELL THE FREON R12.

NO NEED FOR ALL THAT CRAP.

IF YOU WANT IT CONTACT THE GUY. NO NEED TO BASH THE CRAP OUT OF THE GUY BECAUSE HIS PRICE WAS HIGH.

AT LEAST IT WAS AMUSING TO FOLLOW!

Although no longer anonomous (some would argue that, since I use my initials), I am

rather new to this forum. Thankfully, some people were willing to help me until I got my

feet on the ground.

I am not a Reatta expert, but I have a diverse and extensive background regarding

other makes and models. If I can help someone, I don't mind doing so.

I will treat anonomous posters as guests, until they prove that they don't deserve it.

Then I will simply ostracize them.

John

Guest Reatta1

I'm not totaly against an anonymous poster. That is how they come to the forum at first. I just feel that after a number of postings it would be nice to know who you are conversing with. The continued return of an unknown like the R12 freon poster who had to shout at us (maybe he/she doesn't know the significant etiquette of upper and lower case in the post) is what irritates me. I am a fairly 'newbie' myself even though I've been on this forum a while. There are many people who come here that have a wealth of information to pass along. I have a considerable shortfall in knowledge of these vehicles and have begun to depend on this forum for answers to things I've no knowledge of. I do enjoy the banter and occasional wisecracks here but sometimes things get carried too far and become a turn off. There are no doubt anonymous posters out there who have much to contribute; however if they keep coming back I can't see the harm in them identifying themselves. If they are unwilling, maybe because of some insecurity, at some point they are going to be taken to task for it. If they have something to contribute, I hope that doesn't chase them away as one of them may just have an answer to something no one else does. So, all you anonymous's, enjoy this forum and give a little more thought to letting the rest of us get to know who you are. smile.gif

Guest Reatta1

Whoooaaaa! blush.gif Guess I've been told!!! tongue.gif Actualy, anonymous, you have just made my point about being a turn off. You've been apologized to but just can't leave it alone. That says something. You like to call other people 'jerk' but what you are doing is calling the kettle black. I doubt many people are growing fond of you in this forum.

Guest tempest68

Here's my rule of thumb:

If I read an anonymous post that simply asks a question or otherwise tries to contribute to this forum, then I might take the time to reply (provided I actually know anything about the subject).

If I read ANY post, anonymous or not, where I think the person proves their own low self-esteem by trying to belittle others to inflate their own ego, I simply ignore it. Personal attacks are a waste of time and accomplish nothing.

Judge the post by the quality (or lack there-of) of its content, and respond (or dont) accordingly.

If this forum isnt giving you what you want (a forum with required login), then leave it and find (or create) your own. Its amazing how many people will complain about a free service. Maybe we should have Peter look into billing each poster $0.05 (USD) per post? (I wish a 5 cent charge could be instituted for every recipient of an email sent....maybe the level of SPAM would be reduced)

Here's an idea! May be the discussion forum needs to ad a place for un-registered/anonyomous users. There they can sell high priced freon to each other, pick fights among one another, and give out info about cars that they probably do not even own. I think that would settle everybodies problem! No body has to register and the registered users don't have to put up with the constant BS given to us the the anonymous ones. ooo.gifooo.gif

a) another thread too wide for my display

B) U$0.05 per post is ok if poster gets U$0.01

credit for every read.

c) Have posted anon. before usually when

in a foreign hotel or cyber cafe that I do

not trust to hold credentials (am paid to

be paranoid).