61' Special front drum removal

Rollin-360

@Rollin-360 Which parts are you talking about?  The brake shoes like in this picture? 

6 minutes ago, Rollin-360 said:

Removed cap, Unscrewed the bolt and no problem. 

Now where do I get these parts at

2D91B0A1-2141-48D9-94D1-A2F7E458388A.jpeg

Or the brake drum and hub, as in this picture?

5 minutes ago, Rollin-360 said:

FCADFDC1-1ED6-48B1-A7BD-F0B46731BDEB.jpeg

Actually, those brakes look like they are half used and there is more service life in them. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I see nothing to buy. Clean and reinstall.

Now what I cannot see, is if this or the other wheel cylinder is corroded from DOT 3 brake fluid and one or  more pistons are stuck. This can cause locking up. i.e. if the other wheel cylinder has frozen pistons, this wheel cylinder is working, but will lock up since the other one does not work.

Also brake hoses can act as one way check valves and cause wheel lock up. No way to test, except crack a bleeder when it is locked up and see if relieving pressure resolves the lock up.

Front Drums that are not attached to hubs came along in GM about 1965.

BTW, to get the inner bearing and seal out of the hub for cleaning and inspecting, slide the hub back on the spindle, install just the nut a few threads, slide the drum/hub off dragging it along the top of the spindle. Pop, everything now on spindle, remove nut and they are in your hand. Doing it this way I have not had to replace many seals. Maybe not the greatest idea, but...... works for me......

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, Rollin-360 said:

i just wanted to see, The other day this wheel kind of locked up for a bit in my neighborhood, came home and it was back to normal, i needed to see  it

Check the brake  rubber hose to this wheel.  It may be collapsing inside keeping  the fluid form releasing pressure. 

• Like 1

Most auto parts stores can get the rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders--they probably need to be rebuilt if the car has been sitting unused for a long time. The brake shoes are more of a problem to find, but those look fine.  "Avgwarhawk" is right about the rubber hoses. If they are more than 20 years old, you should probably replace them.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, TX.

• Like 1

Thank all of you for the help and info. I want to rebuild or get new cylinders and hoses up front for now, And check this out, I noticed one of the bolts holding the left shock is gone, I’m glad I found this. Car is actually in nice original condition, I’m excited to be the 3rd owner. 

Mince again I appreciate the knowledge 

054EE07F-6E36-4954-8F4D-9B23CF1D5F31.jpeg

61 Special Wagon is a great looking car! I had the AMT model when I was a youngin.😉

Came with race equipment, like a gas can, engine hoist, jack....

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/buick/amt-1961-buick-spec/cci0416200900001.html

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rollin-360 said:

Thank all of you for the help and info. I want to rebuild or get new cylinders and hoses up front for now, And check this out, I noticed one of the bolts holding the left shock is gone, I’m glad I found this. Car is actually in nice original condition, I’m excited to be the 3rd owner. 

Mince again I appreciate the knowledge 

054EE07F-6E36-4954-8F4D-9B23CF1D5F31.jpeg

New shocks should be available.  They do not come with hardware(nut and bolt).  Easy remedy though.   May look to replace the other rubber products.  Link kits and sway bar bushings.  The shop manual should have steps for repairing/replacing these items.

We all like to see parts to Buicks but love to see the entire car.  Do you have any  pictures of this Buick you can post?        

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Here it is, Supposed to have 31k original miles. It’s pretty clean, I am the 3rd owner and am happy to update all that is needed hear, I’ve wanted a wagon my whole life. Thought it was always gonna be a Chevy. I’m so excited about this Buick thing. I love it

F952513C-04CE-41BE-BA71-71E53D242B8A.jpeg

• Like 2

I've seen them. One even in local "antique car parts emporium" , Fredericksburg Auto Salvage. At least it was there several years ago.

I have NOT seen one with a manual transmission. Great find!