Will the 1988 Reatta ABS system work in the 89-90 Reatta?

ski.dive

Look at the high pressure line going from the pump to the master cylinder. Early Teves units have a rubber hose, newer units have a steel pipe to supply pressure from the pump. The problem is that the threads of the high pressure outlet/ inlet are different. That limits you to only being able to use the pump from an early '88 model if you need to replace the pump in the future. For that reason I wouldn't recommend swapping the early '88 Teves unit into a latter model Reatta. Stick with the later model units that had the steel high pressure line. Luckily my '88 has the steel high pressure line.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong but that is what I remember about interchanging early '88 Teves units.

All the Teves units had a rubber hose coming from the reservoir so don't be confused between the two hoses. The photo below shows the steel pipe I'm talking about that replaced a rubber hose on early '88 models. 

abs_pump_pipe.jpg.589f2cba5677b303c5e8e16442a440d3.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

The "running change" I alluded to does not allow one to easily use an early 1988 Teves pump and motor on a later Teves Master Cylinder. Nor can you easily put a later Teves pump and motor on an early Teves Master Cylinder. As Ronnie said the fittings are different.

• Like 2

To test your pump connect 12 volts to the wires coming out of the pump motor shown at the bottom right of your photo.

Your photo doesn't help much since it doesn't show the fitting for the high pressure line on the pump.  If your pump has a banjo style fitting for a hose, like the red arrow points to in the photo below, it will not fit anything except the early '88 models that used a hose to supply pressure to the master cylinder. The hole in the pump will probably have straight threads for a bolt instead of tapered threads for a pipe if it is an early model pump.

A lot can be learned about the differences in the Teves pump and the internal parts of the pump in this topic on ROJ.  Teves ABS Pump never stops That is where I found the photo below.

921803132_Early88modelTeves-2.jpg.f0ac147437a11cd0897caca449afc4cf.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)