needed 31 President rear axle

jcrow

My republic catalog says their number is S269  (type 3, 8 splines, 32 7/16" long with a 1.625 bearing diameter) and it is also used on; 29/30 President 135 "WB after serial # 6013001 and 125" WB after serial # 7013501

Studebaker truck 29/30  GN 30 130" WB and GK 40 126" WB

Pierce Arrow 28/30   81 late 1928   133" WB and 143" WB  '29 A, B and C and 1930

Hope this wider search helps a bit.

It is possible to weld a broken shaft.  My Pontiac was hammer welded by an old old blacksmith in 1947 and over 400,000 miles later it is still okay.  Modern technology should be better.

Good luck.

I have an unknown whole rear axle/diff for a large Studebaker.

Do you have any pictures of yours, or identifying marks, lug pattern. etc?

I do remember it has wheel studs with a rather large bolt circle, and external bands on the brake drums. I suspect it is a late 20s Big Six, but I really don't know. This thing has been in the weather for decades, so hard telling how good or bad it might be. It is located in central Washington State. Where are you?

I'm happy to announce that Johnny just picked up from me (we live 20 miles from each other) a pair of newly manufactured axle shafts for his Studebaker.  I'd purchased them as backup for my 1930 P-A roadster when a Reno collector had a few sets made for his 1930 Pierce two years ago.  Knowing Johnny, I'll bet his car is back on the road before the day is over (Pacific Time).

• Like 2