Looking for turquoise '48 engine enamel

Matt Harwood

I've got this lovely '48 Buick Super in my shop but I want to detail a few things on the engine that aren't quite right. I understand there are two colors of Buick Turquoise out there, one that's the right green/blue and one that's mostly blue. This car appears to have the green/blue paint but it's hard to be sure. I tried buying it from CARS but after a month, they refunded my money because they don't have the paint and don't know when they'll get more. Bob's seems to have the blue/blue stuff but I'm afraid it won't match but who knows?

Any other suggestions? Does Hirsch supply CARS or Bob's? Here's a photo in case anyone can recognize the color and aim me in the right direction.

Thanks!

079.thumb.JPG.3c40177f739676ff3adc802a33ffdb2d.JPG

I've never done a '48, but I have used Hirsch's engine enamel products - on a number of vehicles - and in my experience, they have always been correct.

Hirsch shows a unique Turquoise engine enamel for 1942-52 Buicks:

https://www.hirschauto.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EE-QUART/BUI TURQ/

I'd give them a call. In the past, they have provided color samples on request.

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've got this lovely '48 Buick Super in my shop but I want to detail a few things on the engine that aren't quite right. I understand there are two colors of Buick Turquoise out there, one that's the right green/blue and one that's mostly blue. This car appears to have the green/blue paint but it's hard to be sure. I tried buying it from CARS but after a month, they refunded my money because they don't have the paint and don't know when they'll get more. Bob's seems to have the blue/blue stuff but I'm afraid it won't match but who knows?

Any other suggestions? Does Hirsch supply CARS or Bob's? Here's a photo in case anyone can recognize the color and aim me in the right direction.

Thanks!

079.thumb.JPG.3c40177f739676ff3adc802a33ffdb2d.JPG

Matt, I realize pictures are deceiving.  Yours looks more blue to me.  At least bluer than mine. I understand what Hirsch sells is the greener one.  Mine came from cars. Supposed to be from Hirsch. SO maybe  Bobs is what you need. 

The greener one is correct. When doing my car, I had an unmolested '50 Super setting in the next stall, with remnants of paint on the engine. I smeared some of the Cars/Hirsch on the valve cover, mingling with the old. When dry, I could see no difference. None.

Good luck.

Ben

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Matt, I realize pictures are deceiving.  Yours looks more blue to me.  At least bluer than mine. I understand what Hirsch sells is the greener one.  Mine came from cars. Supposed to be from Hirsch. SO maybe  Bobs is what you need. 

The greener one is correct. When doing my car, I had an unmolested '50 Super setting in the next stall, with remnants of paint on the engine. I smeared some of the Cars/Hirsch on the valve cover, mingling with the old. When dry, I could see no difference. None.

Good luck.

Ben

Could you post a photo of your engine, Ben? I know computers and monitors vary, but it's hard to know which paint is already on there so I can match it so maybe seeing yours would tell me if Hirsch or Bob's was the right choice.

Thanks!

On 7/30/2019 at 4:41 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Could you post a photo of your engine, Ben? I know computers and monitors vary, but it's hard to know which paint is already on there so I can match it so maybe seeing yours would tell me if Hirsch or Bob's was the right choice.

Thanks!

here is my 49 Road master in comparison for what others may post.  Been told by a few old time buick collectors this is correct but who knows. No idea where the paint came from 

Buick 2.jpg

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)