1915 Cadillac V-8 engine

JO BO

Hi, was wondering about your input regarding Cadillac being dubbed as the first to use the V-8  engine.

I have one of them with a very low serial number (in the first 35 made) and heard of a couple of other companies that also put out a V-8 some years prior to Cadillac in 1915.

so was wondering how the "honor" of having the first V-8  fell upon the Cadillac.

thanks..looking forward to interesting reads on this.

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

On 7/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, JO BO said:

Hi, was wondering about your input regarding Cadillac being dubbed as the first to use the V-8  engine.

I have one of them with a very low serial number (in the first 35 made) and heard of a couple of other companies that also put out a V-8 some years prior to Cadillac in 1915.

so was wondering how the "honor" of having the first V-8  fell upon the Cadillac.

thanks..looking forward to interesting reads on this.

Cadillac is often missttributed to that but is credit as the first high volume v8

do you have any photos?

Hi, Yes I found it is regarded as the first  "production" V-8 in America, wherein was first to build in quantity considered production run.  Yes I do have numerous pictures. I could send them to you via email when I get a chance. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting for me.  I have been told it is only one of two surviving 1915 center door sedans. Also has very low serial number so may be oldest Cadillac  V-8 production engine in

America.  I love the original interior even though it needs a little cleaning and spot repair.  Jo Bo

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

JO BO, beautiful 1915 Cadillac you have there! Very elegant interior and about the "squankiest" thing you could ever show up in at a Horseless Carriage Car Club meet, as my Grandmother would have said.

Curbsideclassic.com had an excellent story with a discussion about early V-8s on 3/24/17 by GEELONGVIC, "Automotive History and Vintage AQ Review: Peerless, One of the Great American Luxury Marques and a Close Look At a Brass-Era1910 Peerless Landaulet". Shown here is a De Dion-Bouton V-8, which was mass-produced starting in 1910:

image6.jpg?zoom=0.8999999761581421&resize=400%2C300

Note Cadillac motor of 1915 on left(introduced in September, 2014) below, also in the article; and photo of a 1917 Peerless with a V-8 motor, to the right(introduced in December, 1915). The engine for the latter was developed by Herschell-Spillman then acquired from them. Both were somewhat derivative from the De Dion-Bouton. Daniel Vaughn of conceptcarz.com writes that this Cadillac engineering project started with the purchase of both a De Dion-Bouton V-8 and a Hall-Scott aero V-8. Herschell-Spillman V-8s, though not available in Peerless cars until the 1916 model year, were available on a couple of other chassis' in 1915(Standard, Pratt, and Ross). In relative terms, production numbers of the De Dion eight were small compared to the first generation of Cadillac eights, but both were dwarfed by the numbers of Ford V-8s built a few years later.
Cadillac-1915-V-8-Type-51-web.jpg?resize=600%2C552 ... Image result for 1916 Peerless v-8..............................................................................The first De Dion V-8 was 372 Cu. In.; the Cadillac was 314 Cu. In. [engine by Northway]; the Cole V-8 -- introduced in January, 1915 -- was 346 Cu. In. [engine by Northway]; and the Peerless [using a Herschell-Spillman design at first] was 332 Cu. In.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...