Tongs for Kelsey Rims

hidden_hunter

I have been in the hobby well over 40 years, have owned cars from the start of time, and have no idea what you are asking for. Maybe it’s a “down under” difference or something, can you post a photo, and give a better description. I think I have  a set of of wheels, rims, and caps. Ed

• Like 1

The tongs were a standard Cadillac tool for getting the Kelsey lockring off the rim and pulling it back together to get the tabs back through the rim putting it on. I'm showing a picture of a pair I have,about 12 1/2" long. Unfortunately I don't have an extra pair but will keep an eye out for one. Most people that have one probably don't have any idea what they're for,hopefully the picture helps.

IMG_5831.JPG

• Thanks 1

Can you post a photo of the wheel/rim? Never have seen a tool like that in any automobile tool kit. Thanks!

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Can you post a photo of the wheel/rim? Never have seen a tool like that in any automobile tool kit. Thanks!

It's listed in the parts manual as that, but they call it a pliers tool in the owners guide. My car has probably 80% of the tools with it, this tool, the hammer, monkey wrench & screwdrivers are the only things missing (I have all the weird wrenches, tire brace etc)

20190728_060832888_iOS.jpg

Thanks for the photo. It’s not clear if it’s a split rim or a lock ring rim. It appears to be a split rim, but my eyes aren’t that great. 

It's a solid detachable,demountable rim with a lockring.  This style of Kelsey lockring has tabs on the ends that go through slots in the rim. The thing pictured on the inside is a latch that swings over and catches those tabs for a safer unit. A note on the tongs pictured above,they work okay on a very clean rim,for even a minimally rusty rim you may still need two pry bars, rubber,brass and iron hammers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sagefinds said:

It's a solid detachable,demountable rim with a lockring.  This style of Kelsey lockring has tabs on the ends that go through slots in the rim. The thing pictured on the inside is a latch that swings over and catches those tabs for a safer unit. A note on the tongs pictured above,they work okay on a very clean rim,for even a minimally rusty rim you may still need two pry bars, rubber,brass and iron hammers.

I have a proper tyre kit (originally for the old mans 4wd) which includes the pry bar and other bits. I didn't end up needing anything other than the pry bars, after I let the air down in the tubes I could break the bead just by standing on the edges and then prying it off 

My car does actually have the pry bar that came with the car and it's pretty rubbish, I don't think you'd want to use it.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Bingo! Check out ebay 372723488312 it is similar to yours, maybe identical. 

I was looking at that the other day and wasn't sure - I've bid on it so we'll see how we go. Can always chuck it back on ebay if it doesn't work 

Then only a few more tools to complete the set for the car (though I think i've seen the hammer before at like $400) 

I’m putting together a Duesenberg Model J tool kit............I know the feeling on 400 dollar hammers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’m putting together a Duesenberg Model J tool kit............I know the feeling on 400 dollar hammers!

There's nothing even special about the hammers either, it's not embossed liek the wrenches